hd 598 clap pressure help (looking to increase)
Jul 15, 2020 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

alidan

Head-Fier
SoI have had my headphones for a number of years now, I love them, but there are a few issues I have that had me looking at other headphones and relating these to backups, the big one Im here to ask about now is clamping pressure.

these are so light sometimes I forget im wearing them, but over the years, the pressure has more or less gotten to the point looking down the headphones tend to fall off.

due to what's going on in the world, but budget has fallen a bit so instead of fixing all the problems in one go, ill settle for this one.

i'm wondering if there is a way to to increase the clamping pressure? I don't want much, I just want them to not fall off my head if I look down. I don't mind if they shift, but full falling off is what I want to deal with.

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 2
In the past I've had success increasing clamping pressure on a few plastic headbands by:
- removing the earpads
- covering the drivers with masking tape or similar
- adding a few rubber bands around the headphone (forcing it to clamp together)
- heating the top of the plastic headband with a hair dryer

It's quite a slow process and usually needs quite a few heat-up and cool-down cycles for it to make a significant effect.
Also success varies depending on the plastic.
The masking tape is to prevent over-heating of the drivers.

You could also just shade the entire driver cup area with a piece of paper/cardboard under the headband... which I would recommend.
Also you can try to use a heat-gun if you have one, but you could melt the plastic if you rush it :)
Patience is key.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back