Hd 595 vs 580 amped vs other headphones
Feb 19, 2007 at 5:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

ChaseD13

500+ Head-Fier
well i have an ibass t1 portable amp (for those who dont know it, lets say its better than a govibe, but certainly not a hornet or such, though people have said it does a good job with hd650s).

now everyone says amped- hd580, unamped hd595

i can get an hd595 for 160 (ish) shipped, and a 580 for 130 shipped.

i would say my favorite band is pink floyd, but i listen to all kinds of stuff, even rap/hiphop.

to give a reference to the sound i like- i am really enjoying the ksc 75s sound, but i would love more bass extension (impact is already enough) and more separation would also be great. i love the musicality of the ksc75s, they engage, and project a musical sound. i found senn 280s didn't do this enough for me.

people often say grado is the higher end ksc, but the idea of none (or possibly) less staging than the ksc disapoints me. also, unextended bass isnt what im looking for.

btw i dont need sennheiser, but the bargain 100-200 phones seem to be the 595s/ 580s according to everyone here. id consider anything though.

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #2 of 41
595, i would say they produce nicer separation, and are in some ways similar to grado/ksc75 (although they are still senns). hd580 are really senn (dark) and are not even close to ksc75. From my experiments with ksc75 you will find hd595 having bit more bass, probably where you want it.

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #3 of 41
yeh as far as bass goes, im not a bass head at all...i just feel that with the ksc75s it's not extended deeply enough.

how would say...the beyerdynamic dt880s compare to the 595s?

i would say the most important quality is musical(ness). i know that is subjective, but to explain it better, with the 280s it just seemed like..."yeh the sounds were coming out pretty clear and staged, the bass was deep, but it doesnt seem like its "music"".

people always say they want clear trebble or deep bass, i just want an involving sound that is both interesting and musical where i can hear a good part of the spectrum.

Feb 19, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #5 of 41
basically, im scared of no staging in grado,

akg is too well known for wimpy bass (unless mated with a real high end amp)

so im pretty much left with senn/bd.

im looking for bang for buck, and for some reason, beyer is not really brought up in bang for buck discussions.

for those who have heard many phones: when someone says musical...what phone do you think of?

would the 595s do a good job on both pinkfloyd/dave matthews AND electronic stuff like crystal method, infected mushroom etc and other music that needs extension.

Feb 19, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #7 of 41
the DT880s have a very similar sound signature, but I like the dt880s for it's smoother presentation and more distant perspective as opposed to the HD595 and I feel that the DT880s extend more on both frequency extremes, not to mention they are more comfortable and well built than the HD595s.

Feb 19, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #8 of 41
aye dt880 is better on extension/detail, but it is more analytical than hd595. It gets a bit subjective here, although I am personally tempted to give dt880 a try, as I am looking for basically a better hd595 atm. (although k701 has some factors that caught my eye also).

I honestly think the op should try hd595, it is musical and covers treble/bass pretty well, I find no problems enjoying music from it (the only thing that keeps me here is curiosity about other sound sigs), I am pretty sure from what I read here on head-fi that dt880 is more classical/jazz oriented, while hd595 holds up very well with many styles of music.

Oh ya...and dt880 supposedly can be quite bright unless you have a very good or tube amp >.<.

Feb 19, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaseD13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
basically, im scared of no staging in grado,

Actually the soundstaging on the Grado/Alessandro isn't all that bad when you climb the ladder a bit. My MS-1 are admittedly a little tight, but really quite acceptable and a whole lot of fun, especially for the more intimate venues, but my MS2i widens it out quite a bit.

It'd difficult to explain if you haven't heard all three, but the MS2i is I guess about halfway or a little more between MS-1 and HD600.

And the bass of Grados, at least MS-1 and MS2i anyway, to my experience isn't as bad as you may have been lead to believe. The bass is tight and accurate and not overbearing, but it sure is THERE!!

Feb 19, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 41
Actually the HD580 isn't that much darker then the HD595. It does have softer treble, but it's in keeping with its slightly larger soundstage. Depends on what presentation you want. The HD595 is punchier/ more in your head. It's very much like the MS series of Grados. Both the 595 and 580 scale up though, so you can't go wrong with either as a begining headphone. It just depends what you want a little more punch, or a little more soundstage.

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 41
but does the hd595 or grados have the bass extension he is looking for? i don't think so, based upon what i've read about each. supposedly the grados have good slam, but not much extension...and i've read the 595 doesnt have much of either.
the hfi2200 or proline 2500 sounds like it might be closer to what he's looking for...good bass extension and separation. i've read the 2500 has better bass extension, though.
fwiw

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #12 of 41
the prolines seem like they would be awesome cans, and they might have the extension i want.

the only problem is that they are nearly twice the price of 160$ hd595s and more than twice the price of 130$ hd580s.

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

the only problem is that they are nearly twice the price of 160$ hd595s and more than twice the price of 130$ hd580s.

the hfi-2200 can be found for 200, and the 2500 for 250.

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #14 of 41
I think im going to buy some used 595s, and try them out. if they still dont satisfy me, i could go on to the ultrasones, since the 595s are so popular, they should be an easy resell, and it should give a good indication of what my tastes are.

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

I think im going to buy some used 595s, and try them out. if they still dont satisfy me, i could go on to the ultrasones, since the 595s are so popular, they should be an easy resell, and it should give a good indication of what my tastes are.

That's a good idea. The 595 definitely has more bass then the Grado SR60 or 225. But only you can say how much bass you want: for a lot of my music genres/taste, the 595 has enough bass....but that's just me
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back