HD 595 : Stereo receiver or headphone amp
Jan 11, 2009 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rattesp

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I just bought a pair of Senn HD 595 that I use with a Cowon D2 (flac). I was planning to buy either a cheap stereo receiver (Yamaha RX-397) with a CD player or a full size headphone amp (I already have a PA2V2). My budget is 250 $. Would I see a big improvement over my Cowon D2 + PA2V2 ? I listen mostly to rock, pop, reggae and classical music.

Thanks for your help !

Jan 11, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 16
Hi! and welcome. first i have to say you had a good choice getting the hd595.
i dont think there are better pair of cans out there to start with than the hd595,i think (and many others ofcourse)they are fantastic!. sound really good unamped and even better whan amped, but honestly...not to much more.
before i upgraded to the dvd>dac>amp>denon ah-d5000 rig i also used the hd595 straight from my d2 and my ipod and also with an amp later on(through the d2 headphones jack and the ipod line out port).

a good dedicated headphone amp is always a good buy, you can (and probably will...)upgrade your hd595 in the future to a more upscale pair of cans and you will have to get a good amp anyway, and it will also improve your senns. i dont know your amp but if you like its sound (or your reciever)
you can stick with it and wait till' you get a better headphones and decide that your amp is not enough for them, and get a better one.
but again...the hd595 sound really good straight from the d2 and an amp will not make much of a difference from my experience. they are very efficient headphones and not require a dedicated amp. some say that maybe the difference is rather significance but every headphones(even earphones) will sound better from a headphone amp...the question is how much! and in your case i think its not neccesery, if you dont plan to upgrade anytime soon.

i hope i didnt confuse you too much...enjoy your hd595 they are awsome sounding, i use them every now and than,even with the denons around.
they got something very alive and different, whan i want a little break from the heavy bass machine.. i take the hd595 for a ride!

good luck, and enjoy your music mate!
darthsmile.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 16
Hey rattesp

ON the full size amp forum they are talking about the Little Dot MK III which nearly fits . I appear to be lusting after these for my HD 590's and Grado 225's. I have ordered some Blue Jeans mini to RCA cables to see if my CD player driving my Headsix will be better than the 28 yr old eletronics (Nikko equipment). After seeing how the HD 590s behave I may just pull the plug ont he MK III myself. The 225s are not mine, but my son's. I have also given him my old PA2V2, and he really appreciates the diff over no amp while using his Shure SE210s through headphone jack no less :). When I lend him my LOD he is really happy (but not headsix). Let this posting know what you decide.

B
atsmile.gif

Jan 11, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 16
I use Little Dot Mk II with HD595 and am a extremely happy guy.
In past time used an old receiver and the step up from it was HUGE!
Also, think that Mk II is a lot cheapper than Mk III, so you can have lots of money for tube rolling to set the amp to your taste.
in that concern, just ordered the firsts tubes to start having fun with tube rolling.
My 2 cents...

Jan 12, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 16
Thanks for your advices. I think I will skip the amp. Now do you think do would sound better with a cheap CD player + Yamaha stereo receiver than with the Cowon D2 ?

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rattesp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you very much for your advices :)

I have the predecessor to your hd595s, the hd590s and I still love them. Enjoy and welcome to the group!

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #10 of 16
I used to own the HD595 120 Ohm version and used it with an H/K receiver. If I were to buy the HD595 50 Ohm version, FWIR, I would want to use it with a tube or hybrid amp like a Little Dot with a decent source. If buying a receiver for this purpose, I would first make sure that specific model came very well recommended for use with the HD595. I suggest reading and posting in the source and amp forums for more help.

Jan 12, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rattesp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your advices. I think I will skip the amp. Now do you think do would sound better with a cheap CD player + Yamaha stereo receiver than with the Cowon D2 ?

its an interesting question...if you can get an ok cd player to try with your reciever and compare to the d2 it will be great. my guess is the sound will be different indeed but not necessarily better. as a owner of the d2 i know its capabilitys,and its one awsome sounding player,aspecially whan using flac!

the only problem is the d2 hasn't got a proper line out jack so connecting it to an amp is not the best, you kinda amp the signal twice. so its better to use the d2 own (and comparely very good) internal amp.
tell us about your findings and thoughts mate.

Jan 15, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 16
^ Alpha1Omega

I already bought tubes, but they didn´t arrived yet.

VOSHOD 6ZH1P-EV / 6AK5 NOS Little Dot Amplifier EF95 and
6N6P = ECC99 = E182CC Tubes TESTED NOS

I hope they´ll do the trick...

Dec 12, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #15 of 16
To The OP,
I wouldnt use just any receiver with the 595s or the 555s because their impedance ranges from around 50 ohms peaking up to 200 ohms around the 100hz region. What that does is make them sound boomy in the upper midbass when the receivers headphone jack cannot maintain the same gain level with impedances that crossover from the low impedance(under100ohm) to high impedance region. I know this for a fact because my 555s sound like fart cannons out of my onkyo receiver compared to any headphone amps or daps ive plugged them in.

For headphones that range in the 300 to 600 ohm region( hd580/600/650s for example) in impedance or flat impedance headphones like grados, a receiver will not tweak the headphones response curve due to their impedance. As long as that is the case, youll be fine as long as the receivers sound quality is good.

Bottom line for 595... Stick with your DAP or get a headphone amp if you want more power. Don't get a receiver/integrated amp for them unless you have tested it before buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back