HD 595 - right for me?
Aug 2, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #16 of 27
Ok, thanks mrbrad!
Any other opinions?

Greets
Jonas

Aug 4, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #17 of 27
Hi!

It's me again, I think that I'm going to give the 595s a try.
I have one question though.
@mrbrad+StealthR6 (or others who own 595s and PX100s):
Could you please test if the volume is lower on the 595s (50 Ohms-Version?) compared to the PX100s with equal amp settigs?
Thank you!

Greets
Jonas

Aug 5, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #18 of 27
Sure, I didn't expect this but using my Gilmore lite amp at exactly 1/2 up, both cans loudness were exactly the same. If anything the HD595 was 2-3% louder!!! I use an adapter on my PX100s to fit the Gilmore amp FYI due to the 1/8th plugs on the PX100. I tried the same on the PA2V2, both were exactly the same volume. I expected the HD595 to really need more volume but that isn't the case. I have the 50 Ohms HD595.

Aug 5, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #19 of 27
Oh, that's bad news because I have to use the PA2V2 at the lowest volume setting available and it is still too loud with the PX100. So I'm going to build a voltage divider or something. :frowning2:
@StealthR6: Thank you for your help!

Greets
Jonas

Aug 5, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #20 of 27
NP, can you turn your source down? I had the volume of my DAC at about 70% then I adjust the volume on the amp. My Gilmore was at 50% up while the PA2V2 was only turned up 10-20% also for comparison. Though the PA2V2 starts to sound like crap at about 60% volume.

Aug 5, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #21 of 27
the hd595 was (and still is) one of my good headphones to listen to. it truly can be used for virtually all music genres. the only gripe i have about them are: a bit too little bass impact and no sound isolation! i guess my computer is too loud for its own good =]

Aug 5, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #22 of 27
Hi!

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthR6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NP, can you turn your source down? I had the volume of my DAC at about 70% then I adjust the volume on the amp.

Well I wanted to use the line-out of my Sony D-33 Discman which has no volume control for the line-out.

Greets
Jonas

Aug 13, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #24 of 27
Hi!

@Gurra1980: Thanks: I'll check that out later.

So, I received my 595s today and I really like them. Now I can hear little details (e.g. soft reverb on live-recordings) that I've never heard before.
The less powerful bass isn't negative to me. I think that I'll get used to it.

Now my question:
How do the 595s change with burn-in? :)

At the moment they seem a bit "boxy" but I'm not sure.

Greets
Jonas

Aug 13, 2007 at 2:20 PM Post #25 of 27
Hello Jonas

After much research I chose the HD595 and have used them for around 30 hours un-amped so far. I have decided not to burn-in, rather to let them change as I am listening.

I can confirm that even at 30 hours there is a definite improvement in sound. I am sure others will tell you that they get even better after 100 hours+. I am new to this too so it is difficult for me to descibe exactly how the sound changes but I can say the bass becomes more present, (but still tight), vocals and high notes become more defined and the soundstage widens and lets you pick out individual sounds. Like a bud opening up into a flower.......ahhhhh.....ha ha.

Very pleasing indeed. You won't regret your purchase.

Just got my first amp today so let's see just how good they can be!!!

Aug 13, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #26 of 27
HD595 is a very good choice. I've read several posts of Souperman and all he's always wanted to say about HD595 is that he prefers HD580 and if your preference is the opposite, that's a fanboyism. I had the HD580's at home for about two weeks and they are a bit better in some fields, while also being inferior to HD595 in some other. They are also "nowhere spectacular" kind of headphones. It's just another kind of sound presentation. I don't like Sennheiser's veil very much actually, and in HD580 it's sometimes so obviously audible that I can't stand it. Buying the HD595's is less risky, also because of much lower impedance.

Aug 14, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #27 of 27
'n they will keep improving up to the 500 hr mark....supposedly... but dunno who'd actually sit there 'n clock their listenin time though =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back