HD-595 just arrived! Wow!
Oct 6, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_M
I feel bad now. But if you read my 1st post in this thread, i said nothing about the sound quality. I only said what i thought of the sound after i was asked. You don't need a long listening session to form an opinion about the build quality. These headphones are not exactly cheap, and i just expected somthing slightly better thats all. I didn't mean to upset anyone!

@taymat: I know how bad my setup is. I'm waiting for a review of the X-Fi on Tech Report before i make up my mind. Altho, where can u get an audiophile 192 for £50?? Audiophile 2496 is £55. The 192 is £110.

You can dislike them if you want that's your opinion, you may prefer a Beyerdynamic, Akg, Audio Technica or Grado but you just don't know that yet. If you don't like them much after a week or so when your minds got used to them, or want to change some aspects of their sound to suit your preferences them pm me. I don't mind helping I've heard most headphones under £100 that are any good 'un-amped'.
As for your source well as long as you know that it's a major constraint on the sound that's fine, btw you're right I did make a mistake the audiophile 2496 is the £50 one. Aside from the 192 at the £100 mark most people would recommend the e-mu 1212m. If you're looking at the X-fi, please realise that any review you read will be in the context of someone who thinks that the Klipsch promedia is the holy grail, and therefore there standards are lower. If you need multi channel sound though, apparently there's no better card now. However you pay a lot for that privilege and it might be better to pick up an old Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or Audigy now, and wait until the price of the X-fi comes down. Blimey I've written a lot in one go, hope some of it's useful!

Oct 6, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #32 of 44
Whats with the recent surge in HD595's lately?

(points finger at Mike and Lou
wink.gif
)

Oct 6, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #34 of 44
I think maybe this IS the 595 appreciation thread. As for my experience, they just seem to get better and better. Certainly dissenting opinions are welcome, but you definitely shouldn't worry you've made a mistake in purchasing these. With a system that's not heavily eq'ed these will sound really good. Actually, even with a good deal of eq'ing they don't lose their composure. You have to try pretty hard to upset them.

And the clarity is excellent. I find them superior to my ER-4P's by a good margin in that and all other regards save for isolation of course.

There are headphones in the same general price range that sound better for certain genres but you'd be hard-pressed to find something that sounds better across all genres without spending alot more and probably getting an amp.

As far as someone not being blown away when they first hear them, that's pretty standard really when listening to something superior to what you already own. I really don't mean that as a dig at Dave M. by the way. It's just that you always hear a much bigger difference when downgrading than when upgrading. Life is cruel that way...

And the perception of a possilbe lack of build quality... well, they ARE kind of an unusual design. A couple of members have already stated that they got the orientation mixed up. They kind of look like they're backwards when worn properly and they are made to pivot in unusual ways. Personally I like this about them. The unusual design kind of makes them seem exotic to me, but I can understand too where it might make someone uncomfortable and perhaps distrustful of their design. I've had no problems with them structurally, though, admittedly, I have only owned them for three months. They seem well put together to me.

Oct 6, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #36 of 44
I've been wanting to buy a 2nd pair of HD595 for some time. This thread is pushing me over the edge...
rolleyes.gif

Oct 6, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #38 of 44
The thing about the 595. I have owned a lot of headphones and yes some of them sounded better than the 595 for a short time. Like better detail and more bass but after a short while they were fatiguing with a long listening session.

The 595 is a pleasant sound and has no fatigue at all with a long listening session. The 595 are a light weight headphone with one sided cord and great comfort that the ear cups fit like a clove not like some ear pads that were comfortable but way to big to much room and my ears would not be in the same place in them and they moved around allot because they were round I guess.

The 595 are a bit long and the shape of the ear and the fit is just perfect with no movement at all with the ear. Also the angle drivers give a nice sound stage. For the money that you can get the 595 it is hard pressed to fine a better headphone with all the pluses that the 595 has.

Oct 6, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by waco
My first post here, so I would also like to say hello to everyone..... been lurking about for a while......I have noticed a lot of negative waves on Head-Fi of late. Someone posts how pleased they are with their new can's and someone just has to hit him with negative waves.

NathanKD I'm glad you are happy with your new HD595's !
Good Luck Will

I have noticed the samething lately.Someone gets a nice new set of phones and someone else dos'nt care for them.I have a Grado 325i,a Senn 600,AKG 501,and A beyerDT770-80 and I think their all great phones.Anyway enjoy your 595s I'm sure they sound great.
600smile.gif

Oct 7, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #40 of 44
LOL!

I started listening back to the HD 595 after getting sick with all the sibilance that I get with HD 650 and SR-60. Forgiving phones make you enjoy music more
biggrin.gif

The ear pads (not sure what you call them) are starting to reek. Time for ordering new pads?
tongue.gif

Oct 7, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #44 of 44
I purchased my 595's a few months ago and just love them. I use them a with an M-Audio Revo 5.1. They are comfy, with no fatigue and are a little more lively sound than the 580's. The 50ohm version is great if you are not going to be using an amp.

Congrats on a good purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back