HD 595 + iMac
Aug 19, 2006 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

osoucy

Head-Fier
Hi Guys...

I recently bought a pair of HD 595 and I want to use my iMac G5 as the source.

Anybody has the same setup?

I was wondering if a DAC and an AMP would be necessary or I will get something pretty decent straight out of my audio out?

If I need the DAC/AMP combo, any low cost suggestions?

I know that when I plug in my ER6i to my iMac I get some white noise... is it the same for everyone here?

Aug 19, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 9
Don't have an imac g5 but my guess would be that the headphone out and dac in your imac is not great. You could order a total bithead from headroom, and if it doesn't improve enough for you, you can send it back within 30 days for a full refund, minus shipping of course!

What have you got to lose? Just do it!

I'm sorry, you may want to wait for someone who knows what they are talking about to chime in, i.e. someone with a imac g5.

Aug 19, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 9
Sorry that I can't help you at all, but I was wondering about a similar thing. I'm now sitting in front of a regular G5 desktop Mac. I may soon be getting some nice IEM's (UM2? E500?) and was wondering how things might sound out of the Mac. I was wondering if it might be better, with more power than an iPod, because it's not running on batteries. We'll see if anyone knows about it.

Aug 19, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 9
Question.. What difference does a headphone amp make if you aren't using the line out other then driving heaphone the original headphone jack doesn't drive very well?

Aug 20, 2006 at 8:47 AM Post #5 of 9
I've got an Intel iMac and the standard heaphone out is much improved over my old toshiba laptop headphone out.

I bought the Zhaolu D2 DAC with the upgraded headamp and now I'm using optical out of the iMac into the DAC, and it's obviously the ideal way. The Zhaolu with headamp upgrade is a bargain IMHO, and it's a fantastic DAC and the amp's got plenty of power too.

For the price, you can't really go wrong.

Aug 20, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirium
I've got an Intel iMac and the standard heaphone out is much improved over my old toshiba laptop headphone out.

I bought the Zhaolu D2 DAC with the upgraded headamp and now I'm using optical out of the iMac into the DAC, and it's obviously the ideal way. The Zhaolu with headamp upgrade is a bargain IMHO, and it's a fantastic DAC and the amp's got plenty of power too.

For the price, you can't really go wrong.

How much did you pay for that setup and where did you order it?

Aug 21, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by osoucy
How much did you pay for that setup and where did you order it?

I bought my Mac locally and ordered the DAC from a place that sells them here in Australia for AU$320 including the upgraded headamp.

The Zhaolu can be bought from http://www.ifiaudio.com/home.html in North America, not sure if they ship to Canada, but someone here will know. Alternatively, there's http://www.diykits.com.hk/dac.html which is in Hong Kong, but ship worldwide i think.

Also ordered a pair of beyer DT990s from Jan Meier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back