HD 595 driver just died
Jun 28, 2007 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DJShadow

1000+ Head-Fier
It seems the 595 is less durabe than I've been lead to imagine. Straight off the bat, ever since I've acquired the SA5000, I've been using the HD 595 as a beater headphone in the most literal sense. Occasionally when I get infuriated (thus losing all my intergrity) the poor headphones may find themselves being tossed to the floor
blink.gif
. It has survived such abuse for quite some time. But to my dismay, I find the right driver producing no sound after I 'placed' (read: thrusted) it on its regular hanging spot, my bunk bed's ladder.

What I want to do is to open them up and see if there is any obvious way of fixing them. The small green panels that are secured by 2 screws on each side are really firm in place once the screws are off. I'm worried that forcing them off will just damage the phones even more.

Or, I could use it as an excuse to get another phone...
plainface.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 8
I hope you can fix them.
I'm not sure any phone can withstand being dropped, but some are more sturdier built, preventing the band from breaking etc.
Try to get you frustration out on something else
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #4 of 8
Maybe if you continue to abuse them, they'll learn to shape up
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

The best way to get at the driver is to take off the foam ear pad. Pry off the mesh screen with your fingernail or something. Then you'll see three screws that you can unscrew. This releases the driver enclosure. So you can see if the wire is connected to the driver alright. If it is OK....well then you'll have to keep disassembling until you find the short. Could be coming from the left side... where the connections from the external cord terminal is.

Jun 28, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 8
Keep 'em and buy new ones, so that whenever you get pissed off you can hit em with your woody

Jun 28, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you Davesrose

Do you just pull off the earpads?

yep, don't be afraid to grab them by the underside and yank. Seeing as you throw them around repeatably, I don't think you'll have much hesitation yanking ear pads off
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 8
They came out apart really easily, just as you described Davesrose.

Turns that that one of the wires has become disconnected. Unfortunately, due to my bungled attempt at recabling the SA5000, I vowed never to go near a soldering iron again
3000smile.gif
. No worries, I'll find someone with one. And my bank account no longer quivers at the prospect of yet another purchase
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back