HD 595 cable upgrade at HeadRoom. Opinions?
Jan 26, 2005 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

pp312

Hoping to be taken seriously for once in his life
"The Sennheiser HD595 is an excellent headphone capable of surprising image depth for headphones. We’ve found that re-cabling these cans provides significant improvement in their already spacious image, and provides listeners with an experience on par with the best that headphones can deliver."

I wonder what the general consensus of opinion is here about this offer from HeadRoom. The 595 has been the subject here of considerable praise and probably as much criticism, some of it quite extravagant ("boring" "grainy" "poor value" and one or two that boggle the mind and can't really be taken seriously). So, since Headroom obviously believes it's own blurb about this phone and is prepared to put its money where its mouth is, I wondered what the 595 nay-sayers think of it all. Are the golden ears at HeadRoom barking up the wrong tree, or have they just gone barking mad?

Feb 5, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #3 of 35
Oh, I do like quoting myself.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Because Tyll really likes and thinks others will really like the 595s. I agree with several of the reviews at Headroom, and disagree with others. Obviously, Tyll likes the headphones enough to bother re-cabling them. I don't think people who like the 595 have bad ears or anything like that -- I have no doubt that to some the 595s sound good. Besides, what does headroom traditionally recable? The HD650/600 and RS-1. For some the HD650s will be too warm and distant and I've heard people complain about various problems with the RS-1 (I've never heard them), so many the 595s is something for those who don't like the HD650 or RS-1.

If your point is that they must be good because Headroom, or indeed, anyone in particular, likes them, I don't think that necessarily shows anything.

Feb 5, 2005 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
If your point is that they must be good because Headroom, or indeed, anyone in particular, likes them, I don't think that necessarily shows anything.

Hmmm ... if your point that those recabled phones must *not* be good because you haven't heard them, I think that shows even more nothing. =)

While I don't believe cable upgrade would transform 595 to be a 650 killer or make similarly huge improvement, I'd also like to hear 1st hand experience comparing them to plain vanilla 595 (heck I'm even interested if dual corded 595 can be any better). Continuing our argument here from prior threads simply won't get us anywhere.

600smile.gif

Feb 5, 2005 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 35
I am interested in this upgrade as well, as my 595's fit my listening purposes well. I am not considering upgrading the cans due to my enjoyment of their sound, something that could make them perform better is intriguing. If anyone purchases this upgrade, I'd like a formal review, the 595's are sex.

Ok, 429$, nevermind, that's ludacris.

Feb 5, 2005 at 4:03 PM Post #6 of 35
That wasn't my point at all, so I'll clarify.

The implication of pp312 was that since Headroom decided that the 595s were worth a recable, then they must be good headphones. I'm putting it a bit stronger than pp312 may have meant, but I want to be clear. Read the last two sentences of the initial post.

My point was that simply because Headroom has chosen to offer a recabled version of the 595, does not mean it's a great headphone worthy of such expense.

However, as I have not heard the recabled 595, I have no opinion on how it sounds and certainly have not expressed any such opinion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Hmmm ... if your point that those recabled phones must *not* be good because you haven't heard them, I think that shows even more nothing. =)

While I don't believe cable upgrade would transform 595 to be a 650 killer or make similarly huge improvement, I'd also like to hear 1st hand experience comparing them to plain vanilla 595 (heck I'm even interested if dual corded 595 can be any better). Continuing our argument here from prior threads simply won't get us anywhere.

600smile.gif

Feb 5, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jink
Ok, 429$, nevermind, that's ludacris.

$429 gets you a new pair of recabled 595s. They will perform the upgrade on the pair you already own for "only" $200.

Feb 5, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 35
Don't buy expensive cables unless you get a no questions asked money back guarantee.

See ya
Steve

Feb 5, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by machead
$429 gets you a new pair of recabled 595s. They will perform the upgrade on the pair you already own for "only" $200.

Yeesh, if they knocked 75$ off that, I might think about it, otherwise I'll save up for a supermacro. 200$ is about 90% of a new pair of 595's anyway.

Good idea though, I wonder if anyone will take them up on this deal, I'd like to read about the outcome.

Feb 5, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by machead

Headroom's prices, as usual, are outrageous.
rolleyes.gif
my only complaint about that company...it's a shame.

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #11 of 35

My opinion is that if you are buying them to improve audio quality then you are wasting your money. But come to think of it, that's more like a fact than an opinion.
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic

My opinion is that if you are buying them to improve audio quality then you are wasting your money. But come to think of it, that's more like a fact than an opinion.
biggrin.gif

So you are saying cables aren't an upgrade or improvement? It may get hot in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back