HD 595 and...???
Oct 20, 2009 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Pariah1

100+ Head-Fier
So yea, I know they don't need amping, and that I should just get a "better" can, but I quite like these (for now at least, and I've had only them for about 3 years now) and after getting an X-Head amp recently I have seen more of what they can do over just my amp's head phone out.

However the X-Head is kind of thin, clinical, even silibant with the 595's at least (but not like my amp's hp jack out was!), and I want to try an entry hybrid amp and see how they sound with that.

So for around $200 and under it seems the Starving Student Mini Millet is the choice. But I was wondering if anyone else had tried the 595's with this amp or if there was something else in an inexpensive hybrid. I like SS amps and all, but I just want to try something different. Also, I think not so far down the road I will be trying different cans so a better amp--a hybrid amp--will match better with more cans without murdering my wallet as a good pure tube amp would.

Am I off? Recommendations/advice?

TIA!

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 30
I've had those cans before and I didn't like 'em. You are missing so much in mid-low to low and mid-high to high frequencies. They have a too narrow sound frequency spectrum and I'm not sure proper amping will help solve this issue. However, they are quite neutral compared to the HD555.

Also, the drivers can't handle boomy bass sounds and I noticed it when I raised the volume on my Little Dot amp. The cans made some strange noises.

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 30
I think the creative E-MU 0404 USB is a great pairing with these phones. The amp does a nice job of rounding out some of the harder to drive frequencies and the DAC really cleans up the signal. I got mine new for $150.

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 30
I have HD595 headphone, I use it with Indeed hybrid amp. It costs about $50 plus postage on Ebay. It is a Class A hybrid amp and should work very well with yr HD595.

For more detail look under a thread here called Indeed.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by RallyMaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you might want to look into the Head-Direct EF2.

Looks nice, price is right.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had those cans before and I didn't like 'em. You are missing so much in mid-low to low and mid-high to high frequencies. They have a too narrow sound frequency spectrum and I'm not sure proper amping will help solve this issue. However, they are quite neutral compared to the HD555.

Also, the drivers can't handle boomy bass sounds and I noticed it when I raised the volume on my Little Dot amp. The cans made some strange noises.

Is that the infamous "Senn veil"? I admit that when I first got these cans and hooked them into a 70's Pioneer reciever's phone out the first thing I thought was "where's the bass?" Since then I have come far in my audio tastes though and have more and more looked for articulate bass over slam/impact/boomy distortion, and I am satisfied, at least, with these cans even without proper amplification. Granted they are my first "high end" phones.

I'd still rather focus on a different amp as they are cheaper than a can upgrade and I know I want to get into hybrid's regardless. If I can spend less than $200 and make these phones sing a little more then I will be good for awhile and look into other cans later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the creative E-MU 0404 USB is a great pairing with these phones. The amp does a nice job of rounding out some of the harder to drive frequencies and the DAC really cleans up the signal. I got mine new for $150.

Thanks, but I'm not really looking for a DAC as well as an amp as I already have a DAC Magic I'm quite content with. Also, I really want to get into a hybrid amp, not just SS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttan98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have HD595 headphone, I use it with Indeed hybrid amp. It costs about $50 plus postage on Ebay. It is a Class A hybrid amp and should work very well with yr HD595.

Woah, that's a good price! Definitely look into that!

Question: Do I need to even worry about all the stats (amp output, can/amp impedance, S/N ratio, sensitivity...etc.) when trying to match can to amp?

I guess I'm really looking for an entry level hybrid amp that performs well with a variety of cans, but if one is especially good for the HD 595's then I'm sure I could be happy with the pairing for some time as I haven't felt the urge to upgrade for the 3 years I've had these phones and only these phones and am actually just looking to make them sing more with a better amp in any case.

Thanks for all the replies!

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttan98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok I looked at this and am interested, but it seems there are two makers/builds, the Indeed and Bravo. Which is the better one (no one will answer in that thread!)?

Not ruling out other more expensive options at all either, it's early in the research stage...
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:35 AM Post #8 of 30
I'm with punkguy_182 - your total investment, assuming you can sell the 595s, would be better spent on a set of cans you really enjoy, preferably straight from your current source(s). Its tempting to see the amp (especially a DAC/amp) as a cure-all, but from a VMF point of view, I'm not sure that your aims are achievable with your current budget. If only the MS1 was on the same demo stand that carries the HD5* at so many stores. Full marks to Senn for marketing their product, but I really think you can do better - even if it meant 'downgrading' to something like the HD238. Alternatively, secondhand HD600 and a secondhand amp, while inevitably more expensive, would put you in a better position overall.

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #9 of 30
Wow, since when is the 595 just a decent or mediocre or even a bad can?
confused_face_2.gif

When I researched phones it seemed to be a great choice in the $200 and under market, and I actually liked how it was described as more foward sounding and lively than the 600 and 650 (to compare it to other Senns). I would still buy it now over those from what I've read even without money as a consideration, unless this is totally off (I HATE "laid back" or "relaxed" sound; I'm not 80! lol).

I am looking at the source for a few reasons: I think it is very important, as or more important than the cans themselves. Amp and Dac quality (and of course lossless files compared to other formats) are very important in a set up. I found this out as I slowly upgraded my system over the last 3 or so years since I started to throw some money into audio gear. The whole story is too long to relate here, but I found out through my Usher speakers and 595's how different setups and components greatly brought out their inherent quality that would barely show if I stuck with crap gear and setups.

So as I find the 595's to be at least sufficient even with their less than stellar amping (no matter how stupid that is to some), I want to get into a budget hybrid amp and then, if the Senn's are still just "good" (I find them now to be a solid B) I will move into other cans. But to spend serious money on phones and to plug them into my X-Head amp seems dumb. It's a decent amp, but I can tell it is lacking. Yes it could be the Senns lacking too, but there aren't any glowing reviews of the X-Head around. I got it in b-stock for $120 shipped and it seems that was too much as while it is an upgrade from my Cambridge azur 640a v2 phone out, it's not THAT big of an upgrade. It's a decent amp, but if it can't make the 595's sparkle then why would it make even better cans do so?

Budget hybrid amp first then different cans later, if I feel they are even necessary!
tongue.gif

So isn't the Starving Student Mini Millet the best out of this group? And don't many match it with "good" cans and find it just fine if not great? If so, where's the harm in getting it first and seeing if my Senns are sufficient when matched with a "real" amp?

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #10 of 30
You might want to try the Zero DAC Amp which is around 160 shipped. It has loads of potential. Some mods you can do to it make it comparable to others at a much higher price.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pariah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok I looked at this and am interested, but it seems there are two makers/builds, the Indeed and Bravo. Which is the better one (no one will answer in that thread!)?

Not ruling out other more expensive options at all either, it's early in the research stage...
confused_face_2.gif

I think the Bravo version is not listed in the US Ebay anymore, I bought the Indeed version, you can get one between $40-$50, at this price point it is still a good buy. I bought 2 units, one complete and one incomplete(I prefer this way). The Indeed version has dale resistors which are quite good. The are 2 easy mods you can perform to improve the sound, 1. change to better quality output caps., 2.better tube. 3. change the cathode resistor once to determine what tube you want, a more difficult operation.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #12 of 30
OP, been down this road with the 595 and what the other members say are not lies...The higher end amps did little to help the 595 step up. Sell them and get a hd580 used. I will say this about the 595 though: very comfortable! good luck with whatever decision you make.
wink_face.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 30
If you look really hard you can the HD-600 or HD-650 for a good price as well. I found a set of year old, slightly used HD-650's for 200 bucks.

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbuzzard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP, been down this road with the 595 and what the other members say are not lies...The higher end amps did little to help the 595 step up. Sell them and get a hd580 used. I will say this about the 595 though: very comfortable! good luck with whatever decision you make.
wink_face.gif

Well I've been thinking about it and maybe this is true, that the 595 is just decent and a better amp won't help it all that much.

However, compared to what? My limit for any single piece of audio gear is $300 (except for the Dac Magic) so I'm not buying a $400+ can which of course will/should sound better than the 595.

And how can any can sound that good without proper amping? Should I really get a new pair of cans and just plug them into whatever I got? Won't they sound just decent and nowhere near how they should then?

I would like to get away from Senn's and am looking at the AKG 701/702 and Beyerdynamic 990...
evil_smiley.gif

I appreciate the honesty/advice of above posters...but you guys are evil!
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #15 of 30
The only thing an amp ever helped my HD595's with was clipping in the bass region. Strong amping helps this but the overall sound stays the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back