HD 590 for Ipod help
Jan 3, 2006 at 6:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Just Josh

Head-Fier
Hey guys, great site. Anyway I just got a pair of sennheiser HD 590's and like them very much, however my 30g 4th gen ipod does not have enough power to drive them and I was just wonderin if anyone could recommend a good amp for the two. Nothing too expensive though, Limit probably be $150 or so although I'll save up if people think I should get a better one
tongue.gif
Thanks.

Jan 3, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Josh
Hey guys, great site. Anyway I just got a pair of sennheiser HD 590's and like them very much, however my 30g 4th gen ipod does not have enough power to drive them and I was just wonderin if anyone could recommend a good amp for the two. Nothing too expensive though, Limit probably be $150 or so although I'll save up if people think I should get a better one
tongue.gif
Thanks.

I think the best I have heard for $150 would be a Headroom Airhead if you want portable, or maybe a Xenos 3HA if it's more for home use, in that price range.

I like the Meier Porta Corda better than both, but it's $200.

Jan 3, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 11
4G iPod not enough power to drive HD590s?!
blink.gif
I mean, my little iAudio G3 with its humble single AA cell and Sigmatel chip (OK OK, it seems the latter does use an internal DC-DC converter, but still...) will power my HD590s easily, with me typically using volume settings of 20..25 out of 40. (In a fairly quiet home setting, of course, big open cans are nothing to walk around with outside.)

Jan 3, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 11
Just for kicks, I just plugged my HD590's directly into the headphone out of my 4G iPod (the one WITHOUT the Red Wine Audio mod
biggrin.gif
), and at max volume on the iPod, it's LOUD, well beyond safe listening levels. An amp would likely help provide better sound, but be careful about how loud you are playing things! The iPod will produce plenty of volume with the HD590's.

Jan 3, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Josh
tongue.gif
Thanks.

Just another option would be getting A900, these headphones don't need an amp. Or the difference with adding an amp is very very small. Nice thing about this option is you aren't have to carry an amp around with ipod. Just a thought.

-Chris

Jan 3, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm gonna try the 590's again with my ipod, it could be because certain songs are recorded at different volime levels on my ipod and some are extremely low while others are loud as hell. Thanks again, I will definately look at those amps recommeneded
icon10.gif

Jan 3, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 11
The 590 really doesn't have as stiff of an amp requirement as most other phones that we recommend here; a simple PA2V2 is going to be enough for them. A Portaphile V2 will really open them up and give them good sound, though the bass might be too much (if there is such a thing as too much bass
basshead.gif
)

In any case, an amp is not just a way to raise volume. The 590's really need one to reach their maximum potential.

Jan 3, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
The 590 really doesn't have as stiff of an amp requirement as most other phones that we recommend here; a simple PA2V2 is going to be enough for them. A Portaphile V2 will really open them up and give them good sound, though the bass might be too much (if there is such a thing as too much bass
basshead.gif
)

In any case, an amp is not just a way to raise volume. The 590's really need one to reach their maximum potential.

VERY well put. I totally agree.

Jan 4, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
VERY well put. I totally agree.

I agree also. My HD590 can easily be driven by my iAudio X5L at levels between 25 and 30, but it lacks the dynamics and soundstage that I know it is capable of. I ordered a PA2V2 a couple of days ago to use with this combo. The X5L does drive my HD25-1 very well though at about level 20-22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back