HD 590 arrived and first impression.
May 22, 2003 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Roy2001

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks chkelly, I also ordered the HD590 from J&R. There is a free Sennheiser watch which is OEMed by Seiko, not the crappy no name watch you can find for $20. I believe it worth $50. (PM me if you want to buy it
biggrin.gif
)

The phone itself is very light, much lighter than I expected. The original cable is thin, but I don't care as I will buy the parts to make cable by myself.

I connect it to my CD player. The CD player is a 5 years old Philips and sound quality is not bad. Well, the sound is OK, but not very impressive. The bass is low and pretty tight. Actually bass is better than many good speakers. But midrange is less transparenct than I would expected. The female voice (the famous blue raincoat) is not warm at all. I thought it might be the fault of the CD palyer. So I connect it to Denon 4800, no much difference.

Then I connect it to my Audigy. It sounds a little better now which I believe cause I have listened for a while. I played Counter-Strike, there is more datails which I never heard before with my crappy Labtec phone. But the bad news is I don't like it. Some guys said 590 is too bright, but I cannot prove it. It might be too early to judge.

I will report the sound after burn in and new cable is ready. I am not an audiphile, but my ears is used to my NHT 3.3 which has the best bass I ever heard.

May 22, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 12
HD590 does have a kind of crappy
biggrin.gif
midrange out of the box for the money you pay for it. You can hear it easily when playing recordings with strong female voice. It's not your ears, Roy2001.
smily_headphones1.gif

Those cans REALLY need serious burn-in to improve.

May 22, 2003 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 12
Mine took 200 hours to tame and sound decent.
Then I sold them because I liked closed headphones better than open ones. But, I loved them while I had them.

May 22, 2003 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Leeco

Those cans REALLY need serious burn-in to improve.

Quoted for emphasis.

It seemed to me that they needed at least 100hrs. of burn time before the beast was tamed and it was about a month before they were finally setteled in.

I love'em now.

May 22, 2003 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 12
Be prepared to have people reco that you purchase the upgrade cable for the HD590s to bring out the mids and highs more. IMO, upgrade cables for the Senns are great *for people who already love those cans*. If you aren't impressed with them, buying an expensive replacement cable is throwing good money after bad. It may be wiser to move on to a different set of cans altogether.

May 23, 2003 at 12:31 PM Post #7 of 12
I have run mine in for over 3,000 hours and still find that they are much on the warm/smooth side of neutral. Very nice for soft classical or jazz but rather polite/reticent for anything with any energy that needs to be brought out. You will never have any music go out of control on these phones. Mind you, they may need several thousand more hours of run in before they really sow what they can do. I'm not there yet.

May 23, 2003 at 3:52 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
I have run mine in for over 3,000 hours and still find that they are much on the warm/smooth side of neutral. Very nice for soft classical or jazz but rather polite/reticent for anything with any energy that needs to be brought out. You will never have any music go out of control on these phones. Mind you, they may need several thousand more hours of run in before they really sow what they can do. I'm not there yet.

Beagle, are you serious? Then I should buy a heavily used one
biggrin.gif

I have burn for about 8 hours and plan to report some result 20 hours later. For 200 hours I plan to connnect it to my receiver and let the radio on for 10 days. But for 2000 hours, I will became the slave of a phone......

Anyway, my impression of HD590 is still the same: good bass, mid-range is less transparency and not warm. I also listen to several other CDs which I familiar, Guitar (Acoustic Live) sounds very good. But female voice sounds with less warm and male voice sounds a little muddy. I don't think 2000 hours burn in will cure that. Hopefully the new cable I will make will help to improve a little bit.

Well, I might be too picky. This is my first serious headphone, so I can only compare it to my speakers. Unfortunately its component is NHT3.3
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2003 at 6:58 AM Post #9 of 12
Just got a pair of HD 590's, and I love them! I've got them hooked to a Audigy Platinum ex through the headphone jack, and they sound great, I couldn't be happier!
biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2003 at 9:07 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Jasper994
Just got a pair of HD 590's, and I love them! I've got them hooked to a Audigy Platinum ex through the headphone jack, and they sound great, I couldn't be happier!
biggrin.gif

I have had a pair of HD590s for almost a year now, and I've used them almost everyday, for between 2 to 12 hours... I start to find them a bit fatiguing after about 5 hours constant, but so far I really enjoy them..
smily_headphones1.gif

The current list of headphones I want to purchase are:

a) Grado SR80s for "portable" use
b) Grado SR225/325s for home use
c) Beyerdynamic 880s
d) Audio Technica A1000s
e) Sennheiser HD580s

I also need a headphone amplifier.. I am thinking about a Mini V6, a Mint or a Meta42

Jun 12, 2003 at 1:10 PM Post #11 of 12
Clutz,

If you like the 590's now you'll be quite impressed with them and the Equinox cable.

I have recently purchased an all tube amplifier (Fisher 500-C) and combined with the 590's I am very satisfied. So satified in fact that I have quit looking for suitable alternatives or upgrades to my headphone system.

Hope that helps.

Best
Brian

Jun 12, 2003 at 6:26 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Clutz
The current list of headphones I want to purchase are:

a) Grado SR80s for "portable" use
b) Grado SR225/325s for home use
c) Beyerdynamic 880s
d) Audio Technica A1000s
e) Sennheiser HD580s

I also need a headphone amplifier.. I am thinking about ...

you, my friend, have been caught hook, line and sinker.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back