HD 580's with Newly discovered damage..
Oct 10, 2009 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Huckster

100+ Head-Fier
I bought these cans a year ago (as a returned item), just now opened them and discovered the plastic over the driver was smooshed, probably by the idiot that returned these. First of all, what is this smooshed piece exactly? Secondly, should i be concerned about it, if so how do I fix it? I have not heard any imbalance or rattling from these headphones.

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you explain what it is/ what i'd be pulling on if i tried to pop it out?

That is the surface of the driver. The surface of the driver has a dent in it. Often a dent like that can be pulled out by pressing tape on the dent and pulling the tape off. It should pull the dent out at the same time. Use tape that is not too sticky, use something like masking tape or painters tape.

Here's a blog post that has a picture of the HD580/HD600 driver unit. And here's instructions on how to disassemble an HD580/600/650. And some old instructions from HeadRoom for fixing the HD580 including how to remove the driver unit.

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #6 of 8
Here's a video showing how to use masking tape to pull out a dented dust cover dome on a speaker. I've never done it to a headphone driver. Be very careful if you try. And you want to use tape that isn't too sticky and you don't want to leave sticky residue behind either.

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #8 of 8
Woot!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back