HD 580 my right earpiece is cutting out
Mar 16, 2003 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

absolutofft

Head-Fier
there is something wrong the connection to the right ear on my sennheiser HD580. I know the connection problem is something to do with the wire because when I switched the wires around the problem was not in the left earpiece. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the wire on inspection yet it is constantly causing the sound to cut out.

Any ideas?

Mar 16, 2003 at 8:00 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by absolutofft
there is something wrong the connection to the right ear on my sennheiser HD580. I know the connection problem is something to do with the wire because when I switched the wires around the problem was not in the left earpiece. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the wire on inspection yet it is constantly causing the sound to cut out.

Any ideas?

This is a very common problem with the 580. It hasn't happened with my 600, but since they have the same connector, I assume it's just a matter of time. I cured my problem with multiple (three) 580s by wedging the tip of a plastic toothpick into the opening beside the cable and clipping off the excess. Color the piece with a marker and you'll never know it's there.

Mar 16, 2003 at 11:23 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by absolutofft

Any ideas?

Sounds fairly simple to me. The cable is broken internally and needs to be replaced with either a Cardas or Equinox!
evil_smiley.gif

Either way, you need a new cable.

Mar 16, 2003 at 4:20 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by tigger
Sounds fairly simple to me. The cable is broken internally and needs to be replaced with either a Cardas or Equinox!
evil_smiley.gif

Either way, you need a new cable.

I seriously doubt the cable is broken. The cable connector is poorly designed on the 580. It consists of two very small pins and extends from the lowest point of each ear cup where it constantly drags against one's clothing. This creates a good deal of varying lateral force (wiggling), soon causing the pins to loosen in their seats. Once started, this problem continues to worsen as the connector's fit becomes ever looser.

As I mentioned, this has occurred and recurred in all three of my 580s, two of which I still own. Simply unplugging and reseating the cable will often help for a short time. But replacing the cable, which I've done, does not alleviate the problem beyond the "cure" accomplished by simply reseating the connectors.

I recommend a mechanical fix such as the toothpick wedge I mentioned earlier. This prevents the connection from flexing and has served well for years.

Mar 16, 2003 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 8
How old are your hd580s? The older ones were especially prone to this problem. If you have newer ones however(still under warranty), you should be able to contact Sennheiser.

Mar 16, 2003 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 8
Hey guys thanks for the help, I doubt I have any warranty since i bought these off ebay. I tried to fix them using the method on that website and it doesn't seem to have helped any.
adjusted.jpg

They looked pretty even to me after adjustment but the sound is very intermittant.

Mar 16, 2003 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 8
The problem definitely seems to be with the right wire, whenever I jiggle the right wire a bit the sound comes back on but whenever I inspect the wire around the headphone connector I can't see any damage or breaks in the wire which is very puzzling.

Do you think I should try taking the wire off the connectors and try making my own wire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back