HD-580 matched with Headsave Go-Vibe--will it work well?
Jan 25, 2005 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

daveman_84

100+ Head-Fier
I'm on the brink of buying 580s and the only headphone amp I have is a Headsave Go-Vibe with the standard opamp (can't remember the name). Is it enough power? How will they be together? Thanks.

Jan 25, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveman_84
I'm on the brink of buying 580s and the only headphone amp I have is a Headsave Go-Vibe with the standard opamp (can't remember the name). Is it enough power? How will they be together? Thanks.

I was using a cmoy with a pair of 580's and I enjoyed the combo. I had no problem getting enough volume out of the cmoy either. If the Go-Vibe is anything along the lines of a cmoy, it will work fine.

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveman_84

That's my exact setup (my Go-Vibe has the AD8620 opamp in it). I love this setup-- no problems at all... the stock opamp (OPA2227) may be a little too laid back, but I don't think it will be a huge problem.

I'm actually thinking of getting either the Ety ER4's or some AKG K501's to round out my collection (HD580's, SR60's, then either the Ety's or the AKG's). A good representative headphone from some good companies-- a good palette of sound..

Ive found the HD580's + Go-Vibe work well for just about everything-- Megadeth to Prince to Bjork to Iron Maiden to Cibo Matto..

good luck-- go get those HD580's!

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
That's my exact setup (my Go-Vibe has the AD8620 opamp in it). I love this setup-- no problems at all... the stock opamp (OPA2227) may be a little too laid back, but I don't think it will be a huge problem.

I'm actually thinking of getting either the Ety ER4's or some AKG K501's to round out my collection (HD580's, SR60's, then either the Ety's or the AKG's). A good representative headphone from some good companies-- a good palette of sound..

Ive found the HD580's + Go-Vibe work well for just about everything-- Megadeth to Prince to Bjork to Iron Maiden to Cibo Matto..

good luck-- go get those HD580's!

Thanks for the info. Perhaps I'll see how the standard opamp is with it and then I'll have someone swap the 8620 and see how that is. I'm on the brink of ordering!
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #6 of 13
nope, 4 screws for the go-vibe case and just pull the opamp out and slap a new one in... just make sure the 8620 is on a browndog adaptor so it will fit in the socket.

good luck!

Jan 25, 2005 at 10:34 AM Post #7 of 13
daveman, are you aware that headsave was closed already? Are you buying a 2nd hand?

My Sennheiser 580 (arrived today) sounds good even with sijosae cmoy. Im gonna build PIMETA for these cans. With 8hrs of burn-in it still sound laid back, is it natural for senns? Maybe Im so used to grado sr60 sound...

Jan 25, 2005 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroes
daveman, are you aware that headsave was closed already? Are you buying a 2nd hand?

My Sennheiser 580 (arrived today) sounds good even with sijosae cmoy. Im gonna build PIMETA for these cans. With 8hrs of burn-in it still sound laid back, is it natural for senns? Maybe Im so used to grado sr60 sound...

I already have the amp. And the opamps still are out there regardless of the state of Headsave.

Jan 25, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeroes

I have the SR60's as well, and it's a different type of sound. The Senns get clearer sounding and a little crisper, but overall they're much warmer sounding and laid back than the Grados. I find that the differences are only super noticeable when you swap pairs back and forth. Once you settle in with a pair for an album or so, each has their own sound and strengths.

Jan 26, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #11 of 13
Jan 26, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack
An AD8620, mounted on a Browndog adapter and tested, is available at Tangent's Audio Parts Shop: http://tangentsoft.net/audio/shop/

I'm in contact with a buddy and he's going to do it for me, as I'll just screw it up!

And I did bite the bullet and buy the 580s new from J and R for $160.
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back