HD 580 - Diversion
Apr 29, 2007 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

No Deal

100+ Head-Fier
I found 2 barely used pairs of 580s in a box. They had been there for years. Tried to sell a pair but had to say "No Deal". Today I decided to listen to a pair for a while so I laid the Etys aside. After spending an afternoon with these while working on the pc, I may be convinced to come over to the dark side. These are better than o.k. They are good! Maybe not what I would want to use on a plane but they are good. My Hornet and Microdac seem to drive them well.

Nice diversion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget to defoam them!
smily_headphones1.gif

ugh no. that ruins the sound for me. i believe defoaming is one of the biggest negative setbacks for modded 580's. but that's just me. others really like it, but i feel like it's not the true sennheiser sound that i have grown to love. it's a fake sennheiser sound that people are trying to make "sound better" in their own ways. just my opinion.

Apr 30, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by No Deal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found [size=medium]2 barely used pairs of 580s [/size]in a box. They had been there for years. Tried to sell a pair but had to say "No Deal". Today I decided to listen to a pair for a while so I laid the Etys aside. After spending an afternoon with these while working on the pc, I may be convinced to come over to the dark side. These are better than o.k. They are good! Maybe not what I would want to use on a plane but they are good. My Hornet and Microdac seem to drive them well.

Nice diversion.
smily_headphones1.gif

Any interest in getting rid of one of those?

Apr 30, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by CareyB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I live out in Surrey (64th and Scott Road)

no kidding? i used to be more over the fleetwood area, near north surrey senior secondary!

keep your eyes peeled on the fs/ft forums, eh? the 580s pop up once in a while.

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ugh no. that ruins the sound for me. i believe defoaming is one of the biggest negative setbacks for modded 580's. but that's just me. others really like it, but i feel like it's not the true sennheiser sound that i have grown to love. it's a fake sennheiser sound that people are trying to make "sound better" in their own ways. just my opinion.

Anything that allows for better transmission of sound waves to my ears will always get my thumbs up over anything else, including cables. To me, this is a very critical mod. After all what use are all the other mods and improvements if some of the resulting sound waves get absorbed.

Cheers!

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #11 of 20
Yeah, get the HD600 grills and the HD650 cables. To be honest, I couldn't hear any difference with the grill mod, it just looks better than the thick grey stock grills. With the cable upgrade, I heard more defined and deeper bass. But anyway, for $30, it's really not an expensive mod so it's worthwhile to get both mods done.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, get the HD600 grills and the HD650 cables. To be honest, I couldn't hear any difference with the grill mod, it just looks better than the thick grey stock grills. With the cable upgrade, I heard more defined and deeper bass. But anyway, for $30, it's really not an expensive mod so it's worthwhile to get both mods done.
smily_headphones1.gif

agree with cable impressions.

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything that allows for better transmission of sound waves to my ears will always get my thumbs up over anything else, including cables. To me, this is a very critical mod. After all what use are all the other mods and improvements if some of the resulting sound waves get absorbed.

Cheers!

well i guess we are just avid defenders of both camps with different opinions aren't we
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i guess we are just avid defenders of both camps with different opinions aren't we
wink.gif

No, I'm not defending anything but rather expressing my opinion. If you feel like taking up a defensive position though, you are welcome to do so but I'm not joining you.
tongue.gif

Cheers!

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by No Deal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These are better than o.k.

You've got a gift for understatement.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back