hd 580-classical music?
Jul 3, 2002 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nae45ro

100+ Head-Fier
it is said that the hd's 580 are made for classical music.I like dance and tehno.Will they sound good with this type of music or there are better ones for this?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2002 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 12
The 580's will sound good with anything, they are pretty forgiving headphones. I've listened to jazz, classical, heavy metal, death metal, rock, hard rock, pop, dance, etc...you get the idea.

Jul 3, 2002 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 12
I disagree. I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-580s after i already had a pair of Grado SR-60s and i listen to acoustic rock, alternative rock, hard rock, and reggae and the only one i liked better with the Senns was the reggae (because of how laid back and relaxed reggae is) but i found that the senns lost the edge on rock and made it more smooth than aggressive as it should be. I sold my Senns and bought a pair of Grado SR-225s which i like ALOT more.
good luck on your decision,
Chris

Jul 3, 2002 at 1:09 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by BoardC3
I disagree. I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD-580s after i already had a pair of Grado SR-60s and i listen to acoustic rock, alternative rock, hard rock, and reggae and the only one i liked better with the Senns was the reggae (because of how laid back and relaxed reggae is) but i found that the senns lost the edge on rock and made it more smooth than aggressive as it should be. I sold my Senns and bought a pair of Grado SR-225s which i like ALOT more.
good luck on your decision,
Chris

LOL, its well known that the 580's and 600's are smooth and not bright, like the Grado's.

Jul 4, 2002 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by nae45ro
it is said that the hd's 580 are made for classical music.I like dance and tehno.Will they sound good with this type of music or there are better ones for this?
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the 580's quite a bit. I think they're very well balanced, neutral, smooth and laid back. I listen to classical, rock, reggae, etc. I find them to be very able performers. If you're listening to more techno stuff, you may want to audition the 590's as well. I like the 580's better, I think they sound more refined, but you may like the brightness and accentuated bass of the 590's. I haven't heard Grados, so I can't comment on them.

Jul 4, 2002 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 12
I was able to audition the HD-580's and SR-225's. I did prefer the Grado's with my Rock and Metal, but I listen to a variety of stuff ranging from Mozart to Iron Maiden. I went with the HD-580's because I felt that over all the music I listened to, it gave the most consistent quality. It's great with classical and it plays rock, I just felt that it wasn't as niche as the Grado's for me.

Jul 5, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #9 of 12
I mirror what nearly everyone here is saying, the HD600 sound good on all kinds of music BUT they require good amplification to do so. If you compare say a grado sr60 and the hd600 straight out of the cd player, without a headphone amp, the sr60 would sound better.

Jul 5, 2002 at 10:11 AM Post #11 of 12
I really don't get the whole low end headphone sounds better straight out of weak sources than high end headphone because they were made to be used with crappy stuff ordeal. That's like saying a Ford Focus is a faster car on the road than a F1 car because it's a street car. "Oh the F1 needs premium tires to be faster" Not only do I think that is ********, but I think it's silly that people bitch about it. "I bought an expensive boat, but I'm not going to use it because my lake is dirty." What!? If you got something high end, don't you think you should be getting other good stuff for it over time? If not, tough crack, deal with it.

Back on track, the HD580 sounds good with all types of music, it shines with acoustic music like classical, but yes even electronic can sound marvelous. Rock may be grungy and distorted to begin with, so perhaps a lot of you like the added mush from the Grados? Personally I hate that, I prefer a refined sound, but I can see where people are coming from in wanting that "slam". Overemphasized compressed grainy sound (aggressive slam, snap, etc) draws attention to itself, and I find that rather offensive when listening, but hey, we all have different tastes so to each their own...

Jul 5, 2002 at 1:00 PM Post #12 of 12
I too listen to a wide variety of music with my HD600s. I have yet to find any music that I did not enjoy with them.

The one thing I would say though is that you will quickly learn how poor many of the recordings are. I think alot of them today are mixed with the masses in mind, semi portable players and lousy speakers. I also listen to older (60's) groups and the limitations of the equipment is very obvious. Why do you think it it is at the better stores you hear artists on the labels such as Clarity, Sheffield, Chesky?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back