HD-580 bad connector ghettofix
Jun 17, 2005 at 4:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Vagamus

Head-Fier
Just thought i'd post this because some of you might find it funny.

I was searching around the forums lookin for ways people made cables and connectors for their 580's. Mine were cutting in and out, the cable was going bad, and prior to what i'm about to tell ya, i had them in a duct tape "sling" that prevented much of the distorting. What i mean by sling is that i attempted to reinforce the bases at the points that they worked so they'd move less, and when i found that i looped the cable around below that and duct taped that to the main cable to keep the allignment as straight as possible.

Now, after the sound cutting out on me a few times earlier tonight, i decided i was going to go for something more drastic... so i attempted to dissect the connectors to the cables to access the pins, splicing a piece of the same stock cable a bit further down the line. This went horribly wrong as i had an exacto knife and a steak knife to take this all apart (i know, i know...)

I was left with one connector with part of the mold but both pins still in it, and the other i took the pins out of because i damned near chopped it in half anyways.

So i get the bright idea to solder the wires directly to the pins, insert those, and reinforce it with electrical tape as best i could.

Well, the soldering to pins thing was going ok, but i had a really cheap soldering iron with a very broad tip. Tryin to solder a piece of wire the size of a pin to something barely that much larger with a tip nearly the size of a pencil is no easy feat... but just to curse me even more, my soldering iron died. I took a break, faced with going back to my 280 pro's sobered me to try the next bright idea; using the oven as a soldering iron heater with my busted ass soldering iron. After frantically moving solder at light speeds to get it on target before it cooled, i finally got all the pins soldered to their wires.

I had atleast guessed correctly that the power was the copper/red (red wire was right side, of course) and the ground was the green wire. I had also correctly guessed the larger of the two pins (one is slightly smaller) was for the power and the other for the ground.

The result of the soldering was of course insanely messy, so i sculpted it with an exacto knife til it fit in the headphones recepticle. The end result fit perfectly, but i was faced with one problem... i had the headphones apart because i needed as little distance between recepticle and pin, and theres a piece that goes on over the actual port for the connector. I wasn't about to pull the bloody pins out just to put a cosmetic piece on, so i left that off and reassembled the headphones.

To keep the pins covered and to add some strength to them (two tiny ass wires aren't gonna last long without some kinda help), i spiral rapped the entire assembly up to the actual pins with electrical tape. This made them fairly rigid, and... surprisingly, reasonably durable.

Tested them with my turntable setup, and they worked perfectly... i'd say better than usual, but i think i was just used to whatever side affects may have been present with the way the cables were prior.

So, thats my story. I think i will definately get into this diy stuff... i really enjoyed the problem solving and electronics/construction of this... as ghetto as it was.

I'm was just sittin here enjoying my music again, thought ya'll might get a kick outta all this, seein as some (if not most or all) of you are professionals.
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 3
wasn't there a simple fix of opening the headphone's socket and bending the clamps together?

Jun 18, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 3
Welcome, i am learning as you are that a good set of tools makes a job a lot easier
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back