hd 558 vs q 701
Dec 28, 2011 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

basshead1

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all. I have acquired the hd 558 and ath m50 headphones, and have been dissapointed in the clarity with both. (sounds like theirs a veil). What i meant to say was that the vocals werent as clear as i wanted, sorry for the confusion. I also think the soundstage on the hd 558 is not very good and overhyped. Onto the point, im looking to upgrade from my hd 558. I need a set up for under $300, amped or unamped, and id like it to be a lot better than my hd 558. Now, i was reccomended the q701 with e9 (a little over budget... Oh well). Would this be a significant improvement over my current set up? (Hd 558 unamped out of sansa fuze and all flac files). Thanks so much to anyone who takes the time to reply to this and help out a newb. God bless.

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 13
I have Q701s, but the closest thing I've heard to the HD558 is the PC360.

What don't you like about the HD558 soundstage?  The Q701 and PC360 have different shaped/styled soundstages.

Also, do you have a DAC?

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 13
1-Open up the phones and remove the foam behind the driver of the hd558.

2-What are you using to drive them?  Assuming you aren't driving the M50's or 558 sufficiently the 701 will be far worse.  

None of those 3 should have a veil so I suspect your gear tbh.

Edit-Oh a Fuze IC.  Yeah, not helping things there.  You'd be better off w/ IEMs if you want to stick w/ Sansa's.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #4 of 13
I have Q701s, but the closest thing I've heard to the HD558 is the PC360.

What don't you like about the HD558 soundstage?  The Q701 and PC360 have different shaped/styled soundstages.

Also, do you have a DAC?

Thanks for your reply. I dont have a dac because im not using the headphones with a computer, so i dont need a dac, right? Im sorry that i dont know im just a newb. The soundstage just seems like its not very wide?

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #5 of 13
1-Open up the phones and remove the foam behind the driver of the hd558.

2-What are you using to drive them?  Assuming you aren't driving the M50's or 558 sufficiently the 701 will be far worse.  

None of those 3 should have a veil so I suspect your gear tbh.

Edit-Oh a Fuze IC.  Yeah, not helping things there.  You'd be better off w/ IEMs if you want to stick w/ Sansa's.

Thank you for the reply. I have done the foam mod btw. And i didnt mean veil i meant to say that the headphones just dont sound as clear as i wanted. I drive them with a sansa fuze but as i said if i bought the q701 i would also be getting an e9. Ive heard that the ath m50 and hd 558 are fairly easy to drive headphones, and that they dont benefit much from an amp.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 13
My suggestion?  Ditch the Q701/E9 plan and just get headphones that will sound great from just your Fuze.  Options include the following:

Sennheiser HD448

Shure SRH440

Ultrasone HFi-580

While these won't give you that airy spacious sound that open-back headphones do, but you'll get a clear, dynamic sound that is not veiled in the slightest.  Plus you'll have the simplicity of not having to worry about proper amplification.

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #7 of 13
If you planning on getting an E9 try them w/ it before u get a 701 and report back.  Have a look at the Fa-003 also.

People say a lot of stuff on head-fi......

Dec 28, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #8 of 13
If you planning on getting an E9 try them w/ it before u get a 701 and report back.  Have a look at the Fa-003 also.

People say a lot of stuff on head-fi......

I dont think i understand that reply... Haha. Also, where i live the only place to try out headphones is best buy... And they mostly just have bose and beats and like one pait of senns. Not to mention they dont have headphone amps.

Dec 28, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #9 of 13
My suggestion?  Ditch the Q701/E9 plan and just get headphones that will sound great from just your Fuze.  Options include the following:

Sennheiser HD448

Shure SRH440

Ultrasone HFi-580

While these won't give you that airy spacious sound that open-back headphones do, but you'll get a clear, dynamic sound that is not veiled in the slightest.  Plus you'll have the simplicity of not having to worry about proper amplification.

I really would not like to do this at all. I wanted to upgrade my set up not degrade it.

Dec 28, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #12 of 13
what Anaxilus &  Digital-Pride  suggested is not a downgrade... it's' just a two different way to get what you are looking for at the lowest cost possible

you are not getting the most out of your current headphones in the way you like, an amp will help.  any headphone if amp'ed properly will gain improvements...
coming out from the Fuze is probably giving the sufficient power to the 558, which is why Anaxilus suggested you to get E9 and try it.  I would also suggest you go with E7 or E11 as a portable solution... these will drive the 558 nicely

Digital-pride suggested you other headphones that are more suitable without amp with good quality... it's another solution to "upgrade" your sound in your case, by downgrading the headphones to more suitable ones for the fuze.

I personally own 558 and Q701, e7+e9
Q701 definitely sound better via the e7+e9  
but if you are driving it out from Fuze, Q701 will sound worse because of lack of power 

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #13 of 13
what Anaxilus &  Digital-Pride  suggested is not a downgrade... it's' just a two different way to get what you are looking for at the lowest cost possible

you are not getting the most out of your current headphones in the way you like, an amp will help.  any headphone if amp'ed properly will gain improvements...
coming out from the Fuze is probably giving the sufficient power to the 558, which is why Anaxilus suggested you to get E9 and try it.  I would also suggest you go with E7 or E11 as a portable solution... these will drive the 558 nicely

Digital-pride suggested you other headphones that are more suitable without amp with good quality... it's another solution to "upgrade" your sound in your case, by downgrading the headphones to more suitable ones for the fuze.

I personally own 558 and Q701, e7+e9
Q701 definitely sound better via the e7+e9  
but if you are driving it out from Fuze, Q701 will sound worse because of lack of power 

Thank you so so much for your informative reply. This answers all my questions! Thanks agaim bro, i really appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back