HD 555s and HD 448s for the same price...advice welcome
Dec 29, 2009 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DCofficehack

100+ Head-Fier
I decided I want good phones for my office: I have a nice, private office but need to listen to music both to drown out hallway conversations and because I need music to work. And I decided it was time to upgrade from my $20 Sony's. So I picked $100 as a good ceiling and went shopping...and found that for the exact same price I can get HD-448s and HD-555s, not to mention Grado 60is and 80is. I ruled out the Grados because I need cans I can have on my head for hours and hours without a problem, and Grados seem to have a rep for discomfort, while the Senns are regarded as comfortable. Plus I listen to classical 75% of the time and have read that classical's not the Grados' thing. (No, I havn't looked at other brands because I reckon I already have too many choices.) I'm inclined toward closed phones for the sound isolation and was all set on the 448s, but then I saw that the 555s go for the same price and, at least on paper, offer better sound. Do they? Are 555s better? If I have closed cans, will I be able to hear the phone ring or notice if someone were at the door trying to get my attention? Are either Senns significantly different from the 280 pro? Advice welcome. (ps I'll be running whatever I buy from my computer port and occasionally an iPod...I have no intention of buying an amp.).

Dec 29, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 5
I am not sure I'd really recommend either.

Either of these will offer better value, from what I've read.
Denon D1001
Audio Technica ATH-M50
Sony MDR-V6
Creative Aurvana Live! (Same as the Denon D1001; rebranded)

There are more if you are willing to go open.
Audio Technica ATH-AD700
hrm, thats all I can think of right now

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 5
I have the AH-D1001, the ATH-M50, the MDR-V6, the HD 448 and the HD 595 (an "upscale" HD 555). I would recommend you go with the HD 448, since you seem inclined to do so. I don't think the HD 555 would be my choice, because they can be a little grainy in frequencies that might be important in classical. The AH-D1001 are virtually supra-aural and are therefor not as comfortable for long periods of time. I think you could also go with the ATH-M50, but for classical, it's not what I think I would chose (although I don't listen to classical). The HD 280 is way too uncomfortable for me to chose for long listening, and will isolate too well for your purposes. The only thing I would note with the HD 448 is that the cord is on the shorter side, so you might need an extension cord if you want real mobility. Good luck with your purchase.

Dec 29, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 5
I can only comment on the HD555s but in my experience, I cannot hear a word of anything anyone is saying to me with music playing at moderate volumes. They are very comfortable to wear for hours on end after you stretch the headband out.

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #5 of 5
Is there any reason to think either would sound better? I note that although both cost the same, the 555's "official" price is for a lot more...which in most worlds means it's better. Or is it really a toss?

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back