HD 555 vs. HD485
Jan 25, 2010 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

lilkoolaidman

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking into open headphones that can be used for gaming and sometimes music (the music being mostly rock, rap, and electronic). So far, I've narrowed it down to the 555s and the 485s. The main thing I'm looking for is a good soundstage, and for gaming, good bass response. Now, the 485s are significantly cheaper and probably better unamped, but the 555s probably have better detail and overall clarity.

TL;DR - Which has better soundstage and bass response? Will be unamped.

Since there are no stores nearby me where I can hear both, I depend on the advice of Head-Fi to give me an idea of how they both sound.

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 28
If I get the 555s, I'm looking to do the 555 -> 595 mod (where you remove the piece of foam from the grill). So, what exactly is the big difference between modded and unmodded?
And is this really the only difference between the 555s and 595s? Because that, sennheiser, is trickery. lol

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:13 AM Post #3 of 28
If unamped, I'd say the HD485's. The HD555/HD595 need more power than most portables and will most likely clip is underpowered.

I had the HD485 and HD595 at the same time and I personally thought the HD485 had over inflated bass. not only that but it wasn't all that detailed and sounded closed in, but the SQ was decent. One thing is that they had realy rolled off highs.

I currently have a HD555 and they sound exceptional, far better than the HD485 in all ways! Much more highs, more articulate mids, deeper and deter controlled bass with good punch, and the soundstage was much bigger.

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 28
This is just a general observation about the HD555...they seem to have gotten A LOT more popular in recent months. About a year ago, when I was researching HD555 vs. AD700, the overwhelming response was that both are great phones, but the AD700s will edge out the HD555s just slightly in every regard. I got the Sennheisers anyway because they looked more durable and less ridiculous.

Lately there have been thread after thread about the HD555s, and they even seem to have gone up in price on Amazon. Go figure
tongue.gif

I'd get the 555s, they sound perfectly fine unamped.

Jan 25, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 28
Well, Doug, I thought you were thinking the AD700? For only $88 on Amazon I don't think you'll get a much better deal. That's me though, you know I don't like Senn much.

200th post, btw.

Jan 25, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 28
I didn't care for the 555 at all, and actually think the 485 is better. I don't think I'm alone on this opinion either, which of course doesn't mean you will feel the same way. The 485s scale very well with good amplification as well, the 555s not so much in my experience.

I've also noticed this forum has opinion shifts. The 485s used to be pretty well regarded, now they are crap. The entire 5 series (minus good old 580) was not very well liked until fairly recently.

Jan 25, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarinetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, Doug, I thought you were thinking the AD700? For only $88 on Amazon I don't think you'll get a much better deal. That's me though, you know I don't like Senn much.

200th post, btw.

I was, but I read about some sibilance and harsh mids, which I don't want. And, I don't know if the bass is lacking per se, but I don't want to risk it, because that's how I ended up with the altecs.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 28
bump. would like more opinions.

Jan 26, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 28
*SIGH* Ok, here's what I would LOVE to know: How does the sound of the ATH-AD700s compare to the Altec Lansing UHP336?

The reason why I want to know this is I thought the Altecs sounded tinny and had NO bass not just less than most, NONE nada zip (and I tried several tips and insertion techniques). And the little bass it did have just got washed out in the background. However, after reading this, I thought the AD-700s would be just fine. I don't need big bass, but it better be present at all times (unlike my Altecs)

<3<3<3<3<3 to whoever can compare the two.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #10 of 28
Bamp

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilkoolaidman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was, but I read about some sibilance and harsh mids, which I don't want. And, I don't know if the bass is lacking per se, but I don't want to risk it, because that's how I ended up with the altecs.

I believe you are referring to the Audio Technica AD700 cans, but my experience was the opposite. I would say that the AD700 is very smooth, just not as detailed as I'd like. Huge soundstage and they're very easy to listen to. I found the Sennheiser HD555s to be quite harsh in the midrange and more in-your-face.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #13 of 28
I haven't had any problems with sibilance or harsh mids on the AD700s... that's a strange complaint. Where did you find that?

Jan 26, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't had any problems with sibilance or harsh mids on the AD700s... that's a strange complaint. Where did you find that?

ugh couldn't say. I searched so many things on them it could've been from anywhere (perhaps not even on head-fi).

But, as long as they aren't sibilant or harsh, they seem okay. Only now I want to know about the "light bass" everyone talks about with the AD700s. Is it really that light? It does have some good impact for explosions and things like that on a game right?

Jan 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #15 of 28
There is bass, but it is not the sort of bass that causes the headphones themselves to move, if you get me. You can hear it but not so much feel it. I don't mind it - I listen to Hip-Hop on my AD700s without any complaints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back