HD 555 vs. HD 600 : Bass quantity
Jan 17, 2009 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eraser_svk

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everybody,

have a HD 555 and considering upgrade. I originaly wanted HD 650, but because of a huge price difference (90-100 euro) I give HD 600 a chance.

The biggest problem of my 555s is that they are way bass-shy for me. I have to use this EQ setting to make them sound satisfactory to me.

So there is a question - would HD 600 bass response satisfy me, or should I look elsewhere ?

PS : I like warm, smooth, non-fatiguing sound signature and hate too forward highs.
PS2 : My source is E-MU 0202 USB without external amp. Will HD6xx still sound better than my actual cans ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 9
HD600 is another league of headphone.

it also needs an amp to run optimally...EMU 0202 just manages to drive it..but i would rather go for a better dedicated amp.

its bass has both quantity and quality to satisfy....its not entirely warm but neither it is bright..very non-fatiguing if thats what u wanna know.

tons of reviews of HD600 on head-fi and on the web...so look around

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 9
I have no idea where you are located or where you got those prices from but the differences are ~40€ between the HD600 and HD650.

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD600 is another league of headphone.

it also needs an amp to run optimally...EMU 0202 just manages to drive it..but i would rather go for a better dedicated amp.

its bass has both quantity and quality to satisfy....its not entirely warm but neither it is bright..very non-fatiguing if thats what u wanna know.

tons of reviews of HD600 on head-fi and on the web...so look around

X2, or would it be X3?
tongue.gif

yeah, the 555 is a mid-range/entry 'phone, good for gaming and movies in a casual sense, the HD 600 is entirely different, much better in, well, everything, but its not just a linear increase, its better but different

if you want a ton of bass, perhaps you should consider Denon, Beyerdynamic, or Kenwood? (if any of those are available in your region of the world)

Jan 17, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for yout input guys.

Im located in Slovakia. The cheapest HD 650 I know about is from pixmania.sk for something like 280 euro, and the cheapest HD 600 is for 194 euro from megafoto.cz
I am open to any dealer from the EU, if it would make it cheaper (including shipping of course).

I have tried beyers DT 770 05´ 250ohm... The bass had nice impact, but a little bit much for me. And the mids were recessed and somewhat artifical, so I would probably like to stick with the open headphones.

Btw, I love PX100s sound sig (except for a small veil in the lower highs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back