HD 555 vs HD 598 on STX .. am I hearing things?
Aug 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mescalamba

Head-Fier
I have HD 555 for.. well, many years (5-ish). They are slightly falling apart. No ill effect on sound tho. But, I wanted more (I always want more..). So, since I apparently like Sennheiser way of treating sound (or so I thought) I picked HD 598. According to interwebz, it has response curve very similar to old 555 (which should be near identical to HD558).

Well, it maybe is supposed to be, but it isnt, not even close. :) I wonder if its due burn-in factor, but they sound really really different. I will try to find some words of "how each of them sound".

HD 555 is compared to my HD 598 more "melodical", also bit less defined. But it sounds like if it has a lot flater curve than its 1) supposed to have 2) HD 598 has. My HD 555 is foam-removed. Simply bass, mids, highs are where I want them.. maybe bit of more bass would be nice, but just tiny bit. Rest is fine. Soundstage is actually great.

HD 598 compared to my HD 555 sounds "artificial", a bit more defined and a bit like picture that had tad bit too much sharpening in PhotoShop (probably why it seems artificial, its slightly unnaturaly sharp). According to what I hear that response curve seems about right, mids are emphased on expense of everything else. My first reaction was "where the heck is bass?". Highs are there tho.. not bad. Just mids are bit too strong. I dont know whats word for that in English, but it seems to put emphasis on voice where that goat like "meeeh" sound is. Also quite noticable when listening to Apocalyptica (cello mids bit over-emphased). Soundstage seems.. well, its good, just sorta sounds less realistic? Also bit smaller (maybe are HD 555 better in this due foam removed, is there any foam in HD 598?).

After bit of equalizer playing, I tweaked HD 598 to sound bit better. Or bit like HD 555. But in some places it sounds slightly "wrong". Bass parts particulary dont seem to be fixable this way.

Im using ASUS STX, Uni drivers, ASIO and Foobar (using EQ in it). In STX settings I have it on medium gain (64-300 Ohm), cause HD 598 sounds bit "weak" without it. Hope I wont burn them out..

Now, I have puzzling questions.

1) why HD 555 vs HD 598 sound sooo different to each other?
2) is there any headphone that would be like what I described in HD 555, but better? Means, still melodical, but more defined, just not too sharp, curve that doesnt over-emphase anything in best case scenario.. I would survive bit more intensive bass probably, but apparently not overemphased mids or highs (learned that with AKG701).

My theoretical answer to 1) is that Im too used to hear them.. or HD 598 are really very different. Or I bought some kind of fake Senns, but they sound tad bit too good for that. :D Or Im nuts. Or deaf..

Also I read that someone here commented that STX isnt suitable for HD 598 and that its very neutral sounding. Well, with my HD 555 I can say that it really sounds about perfect. Also it really doesnt seem to add much of itself to sound. Just neutral. Can't wrap my head around why HD 598 is so different..

Any input welcomed. Thank you.

PS: My ears hurt after listening to HD 598. :frowning2:

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 5
Hopefully you have disabled the motherboard's on-board audio? in the BIOS.

Leave the HD598 plugged in over night (several times) with music at least a little louder then then what you normally listen at, running thru them.
See if after several days the audio quality improves.

Some people believe in headphone burn in, some do not.

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 5
  Hopefully you have disabled the motherboard's on-board audio? in the BIOS.

Leave the HD598 plugged in over night (several times) with music at least a little louder then then what you normally listen at, running thru them.
See if after several days the audio quality improves.

Some people believe in headphone burn in, some do not.

Heh, yea I did. Wouldnt make change anyway, its on plug-on board (which isnt present on mobo at this time) so when its not there, its not there. No "on-board" sound.

Since you do have DT880 Pro and HD 558, how these two compare? I looked a bit more for DT880 and looks quite promising..

Thought about burning in too. Worth try I guess..

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 5
  Heh, yea I did. Wouldn't make change anyway, its on plug-on board (which isn't present on mobo at this time) so when its not there, its not there. No "on-board" sound.

Since you do have DT880 Pro and HD 558, how these two compare? I looked a bit more for DT880 and looks quite promising..

Thought about burning in too. Worth try I guess..

The Dt880 is in general a better headphone then the HD558/HD598, but you have to have a decent headphone amplifier to drive the DT880s.

Aug 14, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 5
http://personalaudio.ru/raa/otchety/naushniki/sennheiser-hd-555/

Well, that whole page along with their tests explained thing or two to me.. and it apparently reflects reality very well.

And also means I will have really hard time finding something to actually replace HD 555.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back