HD 555 or something else?
Nov 8, 2010 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

HibyPrime

New Head-Fier
It's taken awhile, but I'm actually ready to buy a set of decent phones now.  I'm fairly sure that the HD555 are going to be what I want, but I would like a little bit of advice about this.

I mainly listen to forms of rock (just about every form), but also dabble in trance, pop, rap, hip hop, country, and rarely classical.  Basically the headphones have to be all-rounders.

I had bought a pair of SR-80i's a few months back, and they definitely aren't for me.  The high end was borderline painful.  No insults to Grados, a lot of people seem to like that about them, but I'm just showing what kind of headphones I don't want.

I want to try them out before I buy them, to avoid making the same mistake twice.  I'll be buying them from http://baybloorradio.com/  They are overpriced, but what isn't in Canada?  I have a hard budget limit of $175 ($200 w/ tax), otherwise I have to spend even more time saving up lol

I plan to use them at home and out with an iPod, but I do plan on getting a set of lower end IEM's in the future for ipod use.  I'll be running straight out of my computer, but if I find they don't preform well enough I'll probably pick up a headphone amp (I'll be looking for advice on that later, headphones first).  I'm not entirely sure if I would prefer open or closed, as I've never had a decent pair of either.

So if anyone feels like it, go through that site and list a few models I should try out, that would be awesome!  They have a wall of headphones in the store that are available for audition, and I couldn't possibly spend enough time with each one to give it a proper judgement.  I'm going to head down there tomorrow afternoon.

Also, if theres a set you think I should try out that isn't listed there, mention it -  it's possible they might have it in the store but not online (believe me, the wall of phones is pretty big lol).

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 10
I have the same issues as you with the SR-80. The highs can be tamed though with some mods and it's easy to do.

I basically can't stand treble happy headphones. The SR-80, 325i and the 750DJ hurt my ears after just an hour. I need something I can listen to for HOURS.

HD-555 is comfortable and a good headphone, but quite boring and too laid back for me. I never got into them despite owning them for at least 4 years. I gave my pair to my brother. I don't find it good for all genres.

I've found that the k240 Studio is good for mostly everything and is even more comfortable due to having zero clamping force. It needs an amp though if you have a very small portable player (like a Nano or Sansa Fuze). They do need burn-in. They're semi-open and are even good for movies and games! The soundstage is probably even better then the HD-555.

This is my suggestion for anyone wanting a good headphone that's comfortable under $200. For past that there are a few better headphones, but all of them require a desktop amp.

They're also only $100, but you can find them as an open box for $80 or so.

Nov 8, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 10
Why limit yourself to buying from a store in Toronto? Just buy online - soo many more options!
biggrin.gif
I recommend Fischer Audio FA-003 if you want cans, or a used set of Hifiman RE252 if you don't mind IEMs. Both will be some of the best 'phones you can buy for the money and both should have the accurate, neutral type of sound you are looking for that suits all types of music well. Neither will sound as harsh as the SR80 in the highs, yet maintaining all the detail and refinement plus more. Both are actually a class above the SR80 in sound quality.

If you still insist on buying from retail in Toronto, then avoid Bay and Bloor Radio - everything there is very overpriced and selection is very limited. I recommend Moog Audio or Long and McQuade - they are far better audio stores, have much better selection of headphones and more reasonable prices too. I still have trouble recommending from those stores though because compared to what you can get online, it's nothing.

Hmm, maybe if you want to hear the FA-003, we could meet up and I will let you try it out. I also got Q-jays IEMs which you can buy for $149 + tax at csc toronto apple store (College/Spadina), which is probably the best deal on headphones in Canada right now.
biggrin.gif
I am busy at this time, but maybe sometime next week or even by the end of this week we could meet up if you want. Just PM me.
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Why limit yourself to buying from a store in Toronto? Just buy online - soo many more options!
biggrin.gif
I recommend Fischer Audio FA-003 if you want cans, or a used set of Hifiman RE252 if you don't mind IEMs. Both will be some of the best 'phones you can buy for the money and both should have the accurate, neutral type of sound you are looking for that suits all types of music well. Neither will sound as harsh as the SR80 in the highs, yet maintaining all the detail and refinement plus more. Both are actually a class above the SR80 in sound quality.

If you still insist on buying from retail in Toronto, then avoid Bay and Bloor Radio - everything there is very overpriced and selection is very limited. I recommend Moog Audio or Long and McQuade - they are far better audio stores, have much better selection of headphones and more reasonable prices too. I still have trouble recommending from those stores though because compared to what you can get online, it's nothing.

Hmm, maybe if you want to hear the FA-003, we could meet up and I will let you try it out. I also got Q-jays IEMs which you can buy for $149 + tax at csc toronto apple store (College/Spadina), which is probably the best deal on headphones in Canada right now.
biggrin.gif
I am busy at this time, but maybe sometime next week or even by the end of this week we could meet up if you want. Just PM me.
biggrin.gif

I would prefer to not buy online 'cause I dont wanna get burned again 
triportsad.gif

I've never heard of Moog Audio, but I just skimmed over their site and they do seem to have much more selection, I'll definitely check it out.

I went to the long and mcquade in my area and they didn't have any of the headphones I was interested in in stock.  I realize there is more than one in toronto, but that coupled with the fact they try to up sell me every time I bought a pack of guitar strings from there makes me not want to give them my business, it's really annoying lol.  It's not even really an up sell, if you spend $10 on strings and they try to sell you a $100 effect pedal, I don't think you can call that an up sell, thats a "buy more from us, you cheap bum" sell.

Thanks for all the info, if I do wanna try those Fischers out I'll let you know 
beerchug.gif

Edit: Saw this, it's a jackhammer operator's DREAM! http://www.moogaudio.com/extreme-isolation-ex-29-p-1714.html 
biggrin.gif

Other than a lot of AKG's Moog don't seem to have much else.  I'll probably give them a call tomorrow talk to them before I head down.

Nov 8, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:

I would prefer to not buy online 'cause I dont wanna get burned again 
triportsad.gif

I've never heard of Moog Audio, but I just skimmed over their site and they do seem to have much more selection, I'll definitely check it out.

I went to the long and mcquade in my area and they didn't have any of the headphones I was interested in in stock.  I realize there is more than one in toronto, but that coupled with the fact they try to up sell me every time I bought a pack of guitar strings from there makes me not want to give them my business, it's really annoying lol.  It's not even really an up sell, if you spend $10 on strings and they try to sell you a $100 effect pedal, I don't think you can call that an up sell, thats a "buy more from us, you cheap bum" sell.

Thanks for all the info, if I do wanna try those Fischers out I'll let you know 
beerchug.gif

Edit: Saw this, it's a jackhammer operator's DREAM! http://www.moogaudio.com/extreme-isolation-ex-29-p-1714.html 
biggrin.gif

Other than a lot of AKG's Moog don't seem to have much else.  I'll probably give them a call tomorrow talk to them before I head down.

Actually Moog carries a lot more stuff that's not listed on their website. You should go there, and check them out!

Nov 9, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #8 of 10
Well something came up again, and I now have to blow almost half my headphone budget on something more important.

I think the universe does not want me to get rid of my (2.5 year old) HD 415's.

Nov 9, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Well something came up again, and I now have to blow almost half my headphone budget on something more important.

I think the universe does not want me to get rid of my (2.5 year old) HD 415's.

Then you should get Hifiman RE0 or RE-ZERO. I would recommend the RE-ZERO since they will be easier to drive. Both will sound significantly better than HD555 or SR80 in most aspects.
cool.gif
I wouldn't hesitate to order from Head-Direct - they are perfectly safe to deal with and have a generous 30 day return policy in case you don't like the 'phone.

Nov 9, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 10
I hadn't seriously considered IEM's as it seems counter-intuitive to use IEM's at home, but thats a stupid reason to not consider them lol.  This is the 3rd time I've been 'ready' to buy a set of full size phones since I returned the SR-80i's and each time something has come up.  2 were money related, and one was an ear infection that would make it difficult to audtion headphones.  I think I'm going to give up shooting for a $200 target, and just use what I have right now - which means at this price point the best SQ is in IEMS.  It also means I can't afford to overpay in a retail store.

The RE0's seem to have some pretty decent reviews, and from the little bit I read about the RE-Zero's I'd probably prefer the RE0.

According to this page http://www.hifiman.us/products/?pid=38 the RE0's come with a Fiio E3, which should be more than powerful enough to drive them according to it's specs.  However when you go http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=38 (which appears to be the same company, or at least a sister company) the product page doesn't have any mention of the Fiio E3.  When you ordered your RE0's did it come with one?  I would ask them but based on their site I'm not sure they speak any english.  The E3 is only 8 bucks, so I'd just pick it up too, but I have no use for two of them if it comes with one >.<

Thanks Pianist, you've been really helpful so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back