HD 485 Question/Issue
Dec 26, 2007 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

b4con

New Head-Fier
I got some brand new Sennheiser HD 485s this morning, my first headphones that cost more than $15. I should say first that I did read through most of the search results for these 'phones as well as a few other threads.

It's my understanding that these particular headphones have a heavy amount of bass and should improve upon burn in. My issue is that almost all vocals are being massively drowned out by bass to the point of inaudibility, or heavily distorted/warped. I've been listening to all sorts of music, for example Radiohead, Interpol, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Nine Inch Nails, Sigur Ros (can hear maybe one or two syllables per song with Sigur).

If burn in is supposed to be just mild "settling in" of the sound, then I have to assume that there's something wrong with mine. I know that burn should take well over 24 hours, but wasn't aware that until that time I wouldn't be able to listen to anything. I don't see how this could be working as intended, out of the box. I'm listening on my computer, and I tried on my Philip's mp3 player with the same results.

Can I expect this to change completely or is there something wrong with my cans? Thanks for helping the newbie.

Dec 26, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 5
Well burn-in for these won't bring you a dramatic improvement as you are expecting. As far as I remember these are open ones and would improve slightly. I have had a chance to listen to these way back about a year ago. I preferred HD555s over these and then went onto HD280 Pros because of its isolation characteristics. I would say you try using them with your home theatre instead of computer or your portable source after your 24Hr burn-in. You should see some improvement with a good cd player.

PS: Use your ears and judge them. I am just giving you my opinion.

Jan 5, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #3 of 5
I listened to the new Radiohead cd using the 485's and it was quite good sq wise[i've even listened to Elton John,King Crimson,,The Rolling Stones and Sigur Ros]and had no problem w/hearing the lyrics......maybe you need to turn the bass down just a little on your player.

Jan 5, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 5
ive had these cans for a couple of months now, vocals have always ben clear on mine, perhaps Eq on player is causing the effect

Jan 5, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 5
They may not be the most detailed of neutral headphones, and burn-in certainly improve the tonal balance a lot, but distortion on vocals...no way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back