HD 485 Music, Ipods
Nov 6, 2005 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Duncandun

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, just registered here... been looking around for some information on my headphones i purchased when i ordered my new PC. I bought the HD 485 because they seemed to be a good deal for the money, and I've been wanting some decent headphones. They have been great so far, very bassy as far as i can tell, Gaming is ok with them, music is great.

Anyway, my real question with them is there any sideffects to using them with Ipod Minis? Just a few days ago i used them with my mini for the first time and i noticed the quality wasent all that great... soon after i used them on my PC again, But to my suprise there was a hefty backsound when ever i plugged them in , no matter what jack... (i have a Audigy 2 Plat ZS) , front or back. I get this odd mechanical whishh...fade...wshhh...fade type sound, never faulters... I would say it was somthing internal that was feeding into my cans, but i don't think it is as theres nothing in my computer that really makes that sound. and although it might be a little superstitous to say so, did my mini screw my new cans?

Also, befor that all happened, i was looking at mini-amps for my cans, would they really help sound quality with this model? Thanks!

Nov 6, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 3
In Windows, go into Start Menu > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices

Click on the Audio tab in Sounds and Audio Devices Properties

Under Sound playback, where the default device selected should be something like SB Audigy Audio, click on the "Volume" button.

Check the "Mute" checkbox for MIDI Synth, CD Audio, Line In, and everything excepting for Play Control/Line Out and Wave/MP3. Muting the CD Audio especially will often get rid of that background noise. Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think an amp is necessary with your setup, but you could look into a CMOY on eBay or a PA2V2 on www.electric-avenues.com . Both should go well with your headphones.

Nov 7, 2005 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks! I'll definetly look into those amps.

And anotherthing came up... I restarted my computer after getting the strange backsound, It wen't away when i started up my music player.

A few minuites after this somthing >else< happened. Theres no strange backsound now, Instead music and everything else seems to be being effected by THX/Equilizer settings that arent enabled, for instance they sound very... watery, monotone, kinda far away, as if from a 5 dollar pair of headphones... Kind of hard to describe really... anyway... thanks

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back