HD 428 or ultrasone 580?
Feb 9, 2014 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

robbybrown99

New Head-Fier
I have been researching for about a month now trying to find the best pair of closed headphones under $150. I found the 428's for only $30, and I was wondering if it is worth another 100 dollars for the ultrasone hfi 580's. I like bass, and think that if i get the 428's I will do the bass mod. What is your opinion?
Any new suggestions?

Feb 9, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 6
Have you ever heard the Ultrasone S-Logic? It makes the Ultrasone's sound a bit different than other headphones. I won't say it's either good or bad - but it's different...

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 6
No...i read multiple reviews saying it sounds like regular stereo sound...is it a very noticeable difference?

For some people, yes, and not necessarily in a good way. I have some 580s and really like them, but there's a number of people out there for whom S-Logic just doesn't work and it causes problems for them listening to the audio while others swear by it. I think I'm in the middle where it's fine but doesn't seem like anything "special" (I got the 580s for the sound signature at the price point and not specifically for S-Logic, so I've been pleased with them).

That's not to say that you shouldn't consider them, it's just something to be aware of. I would think most people would be fine but if you have the chance to try any headphone that you're considering then that's always a good thing. If not, just make sure you can do an easy return (on anything) just in case it really doesn't work.

Feb 10, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 6
S-logic works depending on the headphone position. 
Fyi
http://www.head-fi.org/a/ultrasone-owner-s-guide-the-missing-manual

Feb 10, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #6 of 6
Closed back ideas under $150:
Shure SRH440
Sennheiser 380 pro
Sennheiser HD429/439/449
Sennheiser HD25
Audio Technica M50
AKG K240 MKII
AKG K271 MKII

Users who are viewing this thread