HD-280s are AWESOME
Dec 9, 2003 at 7:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

BaboonGuy

100+ Head-Fier
Wow, just got a pair of these. I was nervous after reading a thread about how much they suck, but they have reached and surpassed all my expectations, and thats right out of the box!

First of all, I dont know what this weak bass stuff is about, the first thing I noticed was the deep low bass I have never heard before (my phones before having been crappy radioshack wraparounds and ksc-35s).

The sound of these phones is awesome, and the isolation it gives you just makes the sound so unadulterated from outside noise it's just pure goodness.

Lastly, I also got these phones for CS, and so far they have been very very good for positioning. Too bad my 1.6 has problems with A3D, but on 1.5 with A3D I knew where everything was once I heard it. I love it.

Dec 9, 2003 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 26
Congrats! I love mine too!
280smile.gif

Dec 9, 2003 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by BaboonGuy
First of all, I dont know what this weak bass stuff is about, the first thing I noticed was the deep low bass I have never heard before (my phones before having been crappy radioshack wraparounds and ksc-35s).

Try any other cans in the price/quality range of the 280s and you'll understand how weak the bass is. Even the grado sr60s are much better, IMHO.

Dec 9, 2003 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by sporky
Glad to hear that. I enjoyed mine for a while too.

And for the sake of your wallet, heed the words in my signature!
tongue.gif

But Sporky doesn't that support the notion that you have moved onto better phones (like ones with more bass, namely the A900s)?

Of course ignorance is bliss--an ignorant person could be happy with any phone because they don't know they could have better. By this statement you are insinuating that HD280 lovers are ignorant--although I take it that this was not your intent.

Sorry to be so anal--I like to take any shot at HD280 lovers that I can.
evil_smiley.gif

But to each their own--I'm in love with the D66--another phone which many people state are too bass weak (although I disagree
biggrin.gif
).

Dec 9, 2003 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 26
If you think SR60's bass is MUCH better than HD280's, you must find the bass of HD580 and HD600 worse than SR60 too. In fact the bass of SR60 is totally uncontrolled and muddy, and not deep enough.
And music is also much more than only bass.
Quote:

Originally posted by kugino
Try any other cans in the price/quality range of the 280s and you'll understand how weak the bass is. Even the grado sr60s are much better, IMHO.

Dec 9, 2003 at 3:34 PM Post #7 of 26
God I don't know why people find it necessary to rain on people's parade??? My parents always taught me, if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all.
evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

The HD280's are not a bad headphone. It really depends on what your after. Coming from cheap Rat Shack and Panasonic headphones, I was amazed at how good they sounded when I first heard them. Yes they can be a touch on the bright side. Yes they are bit shy in bass volume but I've yet to hear another headphone with as much extension and detail in the bass. Every headphone has it's strengths and weaknesses that will appeal to some and turn others off.

I eventually sold mine mainly because I have some problems with my jaw that the clamping pressure started to irritate further. I won't say I miss them because I've moved on to what I consider headphones better suited to me. I would say the HD280's are a decent introduction into good closed headphones, just remember it only gets better from here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2003 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Patrickhat2001

Sorry to be so anal--I like to take any shot at HD280 lovers that I can.
evil_smiley.gif

If you can recommend a headphone that isolates as much or more (passive, its speech that I want to block) for $70 with better bass than the 280's, tell me!

To me the hd280's sound is very reminiscent of the hd590's, which has its own lovers and haters.

Dec 9, 2003 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 26
I guess we're doing a virtual poll here! I'm posting here in the "like 'em" thread. I use them when I'm at my computer and need isolation, but can't be putting my Etys in and out all the time.
280smile.gif
280smile.gif
280smile.gif
280smile.gif
(cool smiley!)

Dec 9, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by kugino

Feh. Blanket statments like these are simply misleading.

First, the HD280s have better bass detail and extension, while the SR60s just have louder bass. There are considerations to bass other than just volume. I'd note also that the HD280s are a little harder to drive than the Grados, and a weak source will tend to magnify this difference.

Second, the HD280s are superior to the Grados for classical and acoustic music--but I'd say the Grados are better for rock.

And, while some people find the HD280s uncomfortable, I gave away my SR60s because I found them impossible to wear for more than about an half an hour.

And the HD280s are closed, while the SR60s are open (really, really open). If you need isolation at all, the Grados are useless.

Therefore, I stand by the statement that neither one is universally "much better" than the other.

Dec 9, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #12 of 26
IMO, the bass was not the weak point of the 280's, in fact the bass was very good.

Dec 9, 2003 at 7:40 PM Post #13 of 26
I found that a little EQ can make a big difference in the 280's bass. If you still think the bass is weak after burn-in but you like the sound otherwise, give it a little kick in the ass and see if that helps.

Dec 9, 2003 at 8:08 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by ph0rk
If you can recommend a headphone that isolates as much or more (passive, its speech that I want to block) for $70 with better bass than the 280's, tell me!

How about the Shure E2--$80 at DJMart.

Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
God I don't know why people find it necessary to rain on people's parade???

This is what forum sites are all about. We don't gain anything from keeping our opinions to ourselves. If someone wants to take a phone to task then let them do so. If it weren't for negative opinions people on this forum would still be listening to Sony Streetstyles.

If nothing else the HD280 stinks thread serves as a red flag to people thinking about buying these phones--a sign that others are not satisfied by certain aspects about these phones and that they should be wary before laying down the cash since the chances are higher that they won't be satisfied with the sound of the HD280s compared to other frequently mentioned phones on this forum (ones which don't receice nearly as many so-and-so stinks threads).

If you like the 280s that's cool, but those new to the headphone world should be informed that many others do not like them. Every phone has it's detractors but few have as many as the HD280s.

Dec 9, 2003 at 8:47 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Patrickhat2001
How about the Shure E2--$80 at DJMart.

I get very poor bass with my Shure E2's. Of course this is a matter of fit in the case of a canal phone.

Just to beat the 280pro vs. SR60 bass question to death: you can't say one is better or worse. The two each have their strengths and weaknesses, and in fact seem to me to be complete opposites of each other:

Grado SR60: Strong upper bass, poor extension, somewhat muddy.

Senn 280: Weak upper bass, excellent extension, tight.

I really think it's a matter of your tastes and the material you're listening to. The 280s can fall short for a melodic, moving, Paul McCartney-esque bass line. But for deep bass notes or low percussion, the effect can be devastating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back