HD 280pro
Sep 25, 2005 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

winged creature

100+ Head-Fier
hi

ive been eyeing these cans for quite some time now, the main reason for isolation. I was just wondering if i have any better options for closed cans, and how good these cans sound. Thanks for the help.

Sep 25, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 17
Dull, flat and boring IMHO... Guitar solos do not jump out, vocals remain receeded. Kick drum has no impact. Resulting sound is hollow and lacks dynamics. Dull midrange gives the impression of treble excess. Good freq response though. Very good isolation. Excessive headband pressure. Weak headband, cracks and splits far too easily, IMHO this more than any sonic issues is the main reason I can not recommend this can. I got mine for $30 from a fellow headfi-er, with cracks in the headband.

least favorite can of my collection... although at night when I want to relax, not disturb my wife, and just want some background music... its nice for that, that relaxed sound that does not jump out and grab you.

DT770 and MDRV6 sound better to my ears.
IMHO K240s trounce all 3... unless you need isolation.

Garrett

Sep 25, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by winged creature
so which closed can would sound good?

MDR-CD3k is my fave closed can. Anything below that I cant recommend, unless youre looking for sometihng specific like the bass thump of the DT770 or forward mids of the MDRV6.
I was using my V6 out the other day, with some EQ adjustments on my MP3 player they are decent IMHO. I could dial in a sound thats similar to my MS2.

Note I havent personally heard the A900 or HD25-1... so I cant resommend those. I'm kicking myself for not spending some time with the 25-1 at the san jose meet.

Sep 25, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 17
They do have that relaxed Sennheiser sound and just don't compare in sound quality to most open headphones. However, if you need really good isolation and don't like canal phones, they work well in noisy situations.

Sep 25, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr703
They do have that relaxed Sennheiser sound and just don't compare in sound quality to most open headphones. However, if you need really good isolation and don't like canal phones, they work well in noisy situations.

I was always pretty happy with mine as far as the sound quality went- but then, before those I only had cheap Sony junk. I did end up selling mine recently because they had the Sennheiser Death Grip on my head every time.

Sep 26, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 17
I know HD280Pro, HD25-1 and K271S. The most comfortable of those three are AKG K271S. They also sound the best of the mentioned headphones. In terms of sound quality and comfort HD280Pro take second place. However HD280 isolate a bit better than K271. Taking everything into consideration, I would say K271 are better headphones than HD280. The only advantages HD25-1 have are durability and portability. BTW, I don't know Audiotechnica and Beyerdynamic headphones.

Sep 26, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Dull, flat and boring IMHO... Guitar solos do not jump out, vocals remain receeded. Kick drum has no impact. Resulting sound is hollow and lacks dynamics. Dull midrange gives the impression of treble excess. Good freq response though. Very good isolation. Excessive headband pressure. Weak headband, cracks and splits far too easily, IMHO this more than any sonic issues is the main reason I can not recommend this can. I got mine for $30 from a fellow headfi-er, with cracks in the headband.

least favorite can of my collection... although at night when I want to relax, not disturb my wife, and just want some background music... its nice for that, that relaxed sound that does not jump out and grab you.

DT770 and MDRV6 sound better to my ears.
IMHO K240s trounce all 3... unless you need isolation.

Garrett

Hmm, I think that's a little harsh. While I believe these cans are clearly outclassed by the higher end closed cans, for under 90 bux these phones aren't too bad. Especially when amped properly, they sound a little better than decent, and I enjoyed the bass response. I agree with the build quality issue, it will break on you if you don't treat them well, but I've been using them in studio recording situations (as headphone monitors for the guitar/vocalist/drummer etc...) and they work out fine. In these situations, the isolation becomes these phones' greatest asset and the sound quality is meant to be supported by this. It in no way will stand on SQ alone.

Neil

Sep 26, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #9 of 17
For the $100 price range, A500 is the way to go. (And yeah, the A500 is better than the HD280Pro in almost every respect.)
For the $200 price range, K271S and A900 are the way to go. Higly recommended.
smily_headphones1.gif

As you go up in price range, you can either get CD3K or Audio-Technica Woodies.
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
For the $100 price range, A500 is the way to go. (And yeah, the A500 is better than the HD280Pro in almost every respect.)
For the $200 price range, K271S and A900 are the way to go. Higly recommended.
smily_headphones1.gif

As you go up in price range, you can either get CD3K or Audio-Technica Woodies.
tongue.gif

I'll second on above recommendation. MDR-V6 is not too bad considering its price but it has a bit of bloated bass, a bit uncontrolled in highs and mids.
Audio Technia A500 is a clear improvement over V6 or HD280, and A900 is a clear winner over A500. When you go over $300 budget, Sony CD3K or Audio Technica W1K should offer improved sound with virtually sealed cans (small amount of sound still leak in and out).

Sep 27, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #12 of 17
Personally, I hated the HD280s. Admittedly I never drove them from a good source, nor using an amp, but I found them treble-heavy in the extreme and far too analytical for my tastes. Unmusical is a word that comes immediately to mind.

Sep 27, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #15 of 17
HD280's are monitor phones. The reason some people are ripping on them is because they're not really made for music - they're super detailed, flat, and accurate. They're more for recording (hence the super-isolation) and that type of thing.

If you listen to electronica or hip hop you'll love these cans - especially electronica. Super deep bass, accurate treble, etc. If you think about it electronica is probably the only music often mastered on headphones and not speakers, and producers & DJ's all use monitor phones.

For organic music like acoustic rock, classical, etc. there are other options out there that would be a better fit. These aren't bad cans though, check out Headphone Reviews' impression of them. This place only takes reviews from people who've heard tons of high end cans (and while the 6.3/10 might sound like a bad rating, the HD650 only gets 7.3/10 - they're harsh on that site!):

http://headphonereviews.org/headphon...&headphoneId=5

--Illah

Users who are viewing this thread

Back