HD 280 vs. ATH M50
Sep 21, 2014 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tubey1

New Head-Fier
I've been using Sennheiser HD280's since 5 yrs or so. I'm looking for an upgrade but I don't want to spend more than $150(I'm on a student's budget). Has to be closed design. I see Audio Technica ATH M50 going for around $125 these days. Are they a considerable upgrade over HD 280 or pretty much in the same performance class? If differences are subtle and not worth spending $120, then I don't really want to upgrade.

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 10
The M50's might sound a little bit better. Also, your 280's have a higher impedance than the M50's. This may be a problem depending on if you have an amp, and what source your using. The newer M50's (ATH-M50X, Specifically) have a detachable cable, come with both a coiled and a straight cable, as well as a 6.3 mm (1/4") screw-on adapter. As for sound, the M50's might sound a little bit better, but it depends on what kind of music you listen to. You can always try the M50's and return them if you don't think they're worth it.

Sep 22, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #3 of 10
  The M50's might sound a little bit better, but the HD 280's are noise cancelling, and the M50's are noise isolating (there's a difference). Also, your 280's have a higher impedance than the M50's. This may be a problem depending on if you have an amp, and what source your using. The newer M50's (ATH-M50X, Specifically) have a detachable cable, come with both a coiled and a straight cable, as well as a 6.3 mm (1/4") screw-on adapter. As for sound, the M50's might sound a little bit better, but it depends on what kind of music you listen to. You can always try the M50's and return them if you don't think they're worth it.

The hd 280s are not noise cancelling headphones

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #7 of 10
Is there anything about the hd280's sound signature that you don't like?

I feel like the mids are more forward than highs. Bass is bit poor but it's enough for me. I'd rather not have M50's muddy bass(based on countless reviews I read). I like Sennheiser's sound signature overall. At this price range there will be trade offs, so I don't mind the shortcomings. I love my HD 280s.

I read HD 380 have larger soundstage and even more detailed than HD 280. So I'm debating if I want to go with HD 380 or M50. I wonder how they compare.

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #8 of 10
I feel like the mids are more forward than highs. Bass is bit poor but it's enough for me. I'd rather not have M50's muddy bass(based on countless reviews I read). I like Sennheiser's sound signature overall. At this price range there will be trade offs, so I don't mind the shortcomings. I love my HD 280s.

I read HD 380 have larger soundstage and even more detailed than HD 280. So I'm debating if I want to go with HD 380 or M50. I wonder how they compare.

What don't you like about the bass more specifically?(speed impact or presence etc)

Sep 22, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 10
What don't you like about the bass more specifically?(speed impact or presence etc)

Presence is a bit weak. Other than that it's fast and accurate.

Only reason to upgrade is I'm looking for more details and larger soundstage. Reportedly HD380 has both of these. So I guess it's now between HD380 and M50.

Sep 22, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 10
Presence is a bit weak. Other than that it's fast and accurate.

Only reason to upgrade is I'm looking for more details and larger soundstage. Reportedly HD380 has both of these. So I guess it's now between HD380 and M50.

There are different sounding cans in the price range but i would be willing to bet they're in the same class.

Some other cans:
Onkyo es fc300 (tyll at innerfidelity prefers these over the m50 because of the smoother treble)
Donscorpio dolphin from penon audio (has a mod in the asian headphone thread)
Netforce made a comparison a while ago in the asian headphone thread :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/684159/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-headphones-iems-amps-dacs/2865

Users who are viewing this thread

Back