HD 280 upgrade
Nov 14, 2009 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

CC Lemon

100+ Head-Fier
This is my first post on the forum and I've been doing a lot of research but still unsure of what would be best for me. I've currently got a pair of HD 280s which have served me well but are showing some wear and I feel like upgrading to something better.

Their main use will be at home on my desktop and laptop but also on my ipod and possibly for travel occasionally. I have PXC 250's which I can use for travel anyways, so I'm debating on whether or not to buy my HD280 replacements with travel in mind as that might limit my options and remove some of the open air options. I mostly listen to metal, though I do occasionally enjoy listening to stuff like the les miserables soundtrack.

After reading around for a bit, I'm leaning towards SR225 at the moment, though I'm pretty much open to suggestion as I'm still very new to the world of nicer headphones. I don't currently have an amp, so that would be another factor. I'm going to set my price limit at $400 total for now, but if there's something close enough to that price then it might be manageable.

I think that covers all the details about what I'm looking for at the moment...

Nov 15, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #3 of 12
It seems like no one else has responded, do I'll put in my .02. As far as closed studio monitors go, the Shure srh440 and the srh840 are pretty good. Both headphones tend to lean towards the warm side, although the 440 is the balanced of the two. I have the 440 and I use it in portable situations, although I wouldn't go running with them. I should also note that the 440 works pretty well with metal, considering that I listen to a lot of thrash. The 440 and 840 go for about $100 and $200, respectively.

Nov 15, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks! Those look like good options as well. The 840 looks more along the lines of what I'd be looking for I think, though that little cord sticking out isn't very attractive.

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 12
From what I've been reading, the sr225's are looking pretty nice for me. I haven't been able to find a very concise answer as to whether or not it would be a good investment to get an amp to pair with them or not. I'd prefer a portable amp if possible though I dont know enough about amps to know what's best.

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 12
I'm liking those ultrasones as well now. They look like they'd be a tad more comfortable than the grados. Something about the GMP's makes them unappealing to me.... not sure what though.

Nov 17, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #8 of 12
GMPs are much comfortable than Ultrasones. I don't recommenв to use Ultrasones without good soundcard or amplifier - you may not like what you hear. My HFI-580 are much better sounding from 0202 USB than from built-in Realtec. Not listen to 35 Ohm Maestros, but used MB quart 805 Demo (the same phone), they were very good to my ears.

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #9 of 12
I've read some reviews saying that the pro 650s are fine without an amp. Would I be better off looking for an amp as well? What's a good portable amp that's not too expensive?

Nov 18, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #10 of 12
Treat me right - yeah, they are good, but loose the soundstage, bass control & highs are sharp a little bit. I used my HFI-580 (same driver as on pros550) with fiio. This was better, but still worse than on soundcard. If you have a chance to audition them - it would be great. Maybe you'll find SQ very good. And remember - Ulrasones need long burn-in. It's not placebo or something else. They really sound much better much after 300 hours!

Nov 18, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #11 of 12
I wouldn't get he 650 if you don't plan on buying an amp. Even if you do end up buying an amp for them, it is gonna have to be decent (over $300 used, $400+ new).

If you are happy with the Sennheiser house sound, the HD555 or HD595 are a good value and sound good unamped. The Grado/Alessandro MS1i is also a good value and a little less in your face than the other grado prestige series phones. If you can audition some Grados first, I would recommend it as they are a horse of a totally different color. I really like my SR225i's but I don't think they are as veristile as the hd595s.

As mentioned, the Shure 440/840 are also nice headphones and worth looking into.

Have fun looking.

Nov 18, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks! I like the 840s but that wire sticking out makes it almost look fragile. There's a decent chance I'll end up getting those anyways but I'll probably end up trying to do something with that cord. I have looked into the 595's because I've enjoyed my previous sennheisers. There is a place somewhat near me that's a dealer for grado but not too sure if they have them available to audition (or if the place is actually a store cause it only lists a PO box). If not then I might choose to avoid taking a chance on liking them without hearing them first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back