HD-280 First Impressions
Jan 30, 2006 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tele1

New Head-Fier
I Just picked up a set of Senn 280's (Team Grado, Team Sennheiser, Team Shure, Team I gotta quit spending so much money) and my first impression is they sound very good for the money. I am sure they will sound better after they burn in, but I am happy with them already...Now I just need another set of grados, and a set of 650 Senns, An Xcan amp,..................

Feb 5, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1
I Just picked up a set of Senn 280's (Team Grado, Team Sennheiser, Team Shure, Team I gotta quit spending so much money) and my first impression is they sound very good for the money. I am sure they will sound better after they burn in, but I am happy with them already...Now I just need another set of grados, and a set of 650 Senns, An Xcan amp,..................

Ah my first pair of senns
280smile.gif
enjoy! For the price they are tough to beat!

Feb 5, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 13
Lotsa love fest over here for the HD280s. What a great phone for the price. Wife says the isolation is criminal, can't even hear the kids scream.

Feb 5, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 13
i LOVE my 280's, i'm even considering recabling them!!! they sound really good at loud volumes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
280smile.gif
280smile.gif
280smile.gif
280smile.gif

Feb 5, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by drivel
I'd recommend leaving them on almost continuosly.
evil_smiley.gif
They take a really long time to burn in. Mine were starting to get really nice after almost a full year.

a year hey? that's great! how many hours would you say you've put on them? and no cracking headband? awsome!

Feb 5, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #9 of 13
Well they actually did end up cracking.
Sennheiser ended up sending me a brand new pair, but I ended up selling them not having to want to go through that again and i want to try something else too.

I'd figure I probably put a couple of hours on them a day, hmmm,

So somewhere between 600 - 800 hrs.

My guess is that somewhere around 500 hrs. is the sweet spot where they start sounding really good. This is all guestimation (I can't beleive I used that word) of course.

Feb 5, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #10 of 13
You forgot to list sony, AKG, and Stax
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Theyre great cans for max isolation. They should be the first cans for the married head-fier, that way you cant hear the constant whining and complaining when you get your Grados, AKG, Sony...etc...

Garrett

Feb 6, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by drivel
Well they actually did end up cracking.
Sennheiser ended up sending me a brand new pair, but I ended up selling them not having to want to go through that again and i want to try something else too.

I'd figure I probably put a couple of hours on them a day, hmmm,

So somewhere between 600 - 800 hrs.

My guess is that somewhere around 500 hrs. is the sweet spot where they start sounding really good. This is all guestimation (I can't beleive I used that word) of course.

How did u go about getting a replacement?? Did u need a reciept??

Feb 6, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 13
When I first got my HD280 they sounded like crap, like the music was coming from the next room somewhere. I hooked them up to my PC and played music on them for a 5 days straight and now I love them.

Cletus

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 6, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by winged creature
How did u go about getting a replacement?? Did u need a reciept??

Yeah I just sent them the receipt I had in my email, make sure you save a copy because they don't return it. You have a 2 year warranty, so you should be ok. It did take a month and a half to get the new pair back, however.

I did a mod that I found here on them to loosen the headband. I took the metal in the headband out and bent it out. This may have something to do with the headband cracks. I don't recommend the mod even if it does make them more comfortable.

Others have had success with the HD280's. Maybe I have a big head
confused.gif

Enjoy them. If they give you trouble in the next couple years you can always sell them after they get fixed and then upgrade
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back