HD-25's for 8 bucks? Is this for real?
Sep 21, 2004 at 6:55 AM Post #16 of 17
Sniping actually does not increase the end bid price. The opposite is true and thats why I do use sniping. You do end up paying less than without sniping. Here is why: When you put in your maximum bid early on, then the bidding agent will only bid the lowest necessary amount for you. But whenever somebody else places a bid, your bid is increased (up to your maximum amount) and they are instantly outbid and notified. This would not be a problem for anybody if everybody just put in the maximum amount they are willing to pay. But thats not how bidding tends to work. If you are outbid, there is a very strong urge to place another higher bid until you have a winning bid. Even if it means paying more than you originally intended to. So by placing your maximum bid in the very last seconds you just dont give other people time to have and respond to this urge. And it also protects yourself from that same urge and from paying way more than you originally wanted to.
And you can snipe just fine with a dial up connection. There are tools out there that automatically connect to the network in time, measure network response and automatically place your bid just in time before auction end.

Sep 21, 2004 at 11:27 AM Post #17 of 17
Sniping is the best way to bid, at any auction. It's best to wait in the wings/shadows then get the deal at the last minute.

Some things on eBay sell at stupid prices.

I saw a year-old Musical Fidelity X-Can V3 sell for £215 plus £10 post & packing ($400 USD!!!). You can get a new one for that price!

Anyhow, I see a load of British Airways Sennheiser HD25SP's for sale on eBay (these were given to Concorde passengers for their in-flight entertainment). I used to have a pair of these as I have a friend who works for British Airways - he didn't have any need for them so gave 'em to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back