HD 25 worth the money over HD 25-SP?
Oct 26, 2005 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

aldrack

New Head-Fier
Use: Primarily portable. I`ll hook it up with sony's hw5.

I reckon there's a reduction in sound quality favouring the most expensiev can, but is the difference very distinct? And when it comes to value for money, hd25 or the SP? The 25's cost twice as much as the sp's, do they sound twice as good?
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Perhaps there are other alternatives within this headphone size (physical)?

Thanks for any advice,
Mads

Oct 26, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 11
Well, I for one really dig the HD-25-1, and have settled on them for my portable headphone. I am through with IEM's for good, now that I have the HD-25-1's. They sound great, and provide good isolation, good enough to block most airplane background noise. Not as good isolation as an IEM, but very good, and they are very comfortable and sound GREAT.

But I have never heard the 25sp, sorry.

Oct 26, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #3 of 11
My SP's sound quite muffled compared to my DT-531's or E3C's.

Bass is great though... It's just the muddy sound that puts me off using these for anything other than an emergency pair.

Oct 27, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua
My SP's sound quite muffled compared to my DT-531's or E3C's.

Bass is great though... It's just the muddy sound that puts me off using these for anything other than an emergency pair.

Well, there is nothing muddy about HD-25-1's, so maybe that's your answer...

Oct 27, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Well, there is nothing muddy about HD-25-1's, so maybe that's your answer...

that's true.

[size=xx-small]one of my better post if I do say so myself.
wink.gif
[/size]

Oct 27, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 11
I liked the HD 25-1, but I think it is overpriced. I think there are better portable options (albeit IEM) in this price range. Basically, I think you pay a tremendous premium for the HD 25-1's portability.

Still a good phone, though. I thought it was kind of Grado-like (for a Senn).

Oct 27, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #9 of 11
Actually, I find the physical differences between the -1 and SP to be more important than the sonic ones. Soundwise the HD 25-1 is just as previous posters have described it but I think in a portable situation, the differences will become less apparent. Once you add a better cable, like a OFC cable to the HD 25-1, the HD 25-1 really starts pulling ahead but those kind of replacement cables usually reduce the portability, too.

What the -1 has over the SP is the single-sided cable, which is really convenient, and that the cable connects from above instead of from below which makes the Hd 25-1 less prone to having the cable pulled out. The splittable headband also allows for a more secure and comfortable fit.

Once you add the sonic differences on top, I think the HD 25-1 is worth twice the price of the SP although I'd try to find the HD 25-1 on the used market if possible. In any case, it's the only portable headphone I use and still the best in my book.

Oct 27, 2005 at 12:26 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for all the response
smily_headphones1.gif

Problem is I only have the opportunity to listen to the -1, not the SP. From what you've said related to the cans sound, I strongly favour the more expensive model. I'll go have a look at ebay to see if I can get the 25-1 a wee bit cheaper
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks again for your help!

Oct 28, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by aldrack
Thanks for all the response
smily_headphones1.gif

Problem is I only have the opportunity to listen to the -1, not the SP. From what you've said related to the cans sound, I strongly favour the more expensive model. I'll go have a look at ebay to see if I can get the 25-1 a wee bit cheaper
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks again for your help!

You can sometimes find the 25-1 on ebay for about $150, but remember to check the Headfi For Sale Forum if you haven't done so already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back