Hd-25 Quick Changes made Easy
Apr 13, 2005 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Scholarlymonk

Head-Fier
Apr 14, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 7
Aw come on throw a dog a bone.
One of you smart upstarts walk me through this whole thing.

And also, how do you guys carry around the cans. So you just throw them in your bag or do you have a case for them.

thanks

Apr 14, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 7
1) The cable does work with it yes, but you'll need to rotate the earcups or else the cable will be to long for one of the sides if you insist on keeping it single-sided. The HD650 cable does not fit in the headband groove either, it's too thick. The connectors fit well, although they are slightly different longer down the connectors, so it will look slightly more bulky than the stock cords connectors. You'll find that the stock cable can be hard to remove from the earcups. Just draw in a straight line outwards from where the plugs enter, don't wriggle. They're so tight because the stock cord uses pressed steel connectors rather than a machined plug. The HD25-13 cable has machined plugs too, so it is intended for machined plugs too.

2) Yes those are the correct pads.

It is easy to get the pleather pads off, and fairly easy to put on again. The velour pads are harder since the material that the velour is sewn into (the piece that wraps around the earpiece) is made of a harder material. My advice would be firstly to place the new foam discs in the centre, put the new pad ontop and put your index finger through the hole, and guide the pad on on one side, then on the opposite side, and go on from there.

I just usually throw them in my back with alot of other stuff, no scratches after nearly two years of ownership. Maybe the HD650 is not that good for your purpose since it has a 1/4" headphone jack and you'll need to use it doublesided. The HD580/600 cable is thinner so it fits in the groove, and you can make it single sided (see recent thread). It has an 1/8" connector.

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 7
The trick in putting the velour pads on is to turn them inside out, place them over the cup and then turn them back, they'll sort of just drop into place. I did not know this when I replaced mine but I was shown how by another Head-Fi member at the Nottingham (UK) meet.

Apr 14, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daroid
The HD580/600 cable is thinner so it fits in the groove, and you can make it single sided (see recent thread). It has an 1/8" connector.

Daroid,
So you recomend this 580/600 cable for portable use. It makes a diffrence sonically? And yet, it is still able to be made one-sided.

Apr 14, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #6 of 7
Yes the HD580/HD600 cable is OFC and much better than the standard stel cable. You can use it dual sided or single-sided. See this thread: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108114
With HD650 cable this would be impossible since it doesn't fit the headband groove.

The 3m/10 feet cable might be a little long for portable use, but as long you have a large pocket or bag or a cablewrapper this should be no problem.

StevieDvd: Hey, cool trick! thx.. that's even easier
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2005 at 7:29 AM Post #7 of 7
I know this is really beating a dead house absolutley senseless, but in the link for the one sided cable solution Paspro used a 480 cable. Will this work for the 600 cable as well. And for anyone who has done this is or has a similar cable, is the excess able cumbersome for portable use.
thanks all,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back