HD 25-1's, 20$-Sony's, dB/mW? Totally confused...
Dec 15, 2008 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

inF

Head-Fier
Hello,

I own a Sony MDR-A35G S2 (my third one at the moment, been using them for several years) and Sennheiser HD 25-1, and have used Sennheiser PX 100 for a few months then sold them. My sources are my computer with Audigy 2 ZS sound card + Winamp and SE W810i (R4DB005) phone; same for all these three headphones.

I'm not an audiophile and can't argue with most of the people here about the "stage" or "signature" of the sound, but I think I can clearly determine which headphone is louder when connected to the same source, and make a few sentences about the sound quality. I mostly listen to alternative rock, house/dance/trance, and I definitely love to listen my music loud.

My situation is a bit "weird". I was greatly happy with my Sony's when I decided to try something "better" and bought PX 100's. The build quality especially was awesome but then it was a total disappointment with the sound; "slightly" more detailed than my Sony's but clearly not as loud as them, with both my cell phone and computer. I also found them not comfortable enough.

Then I wanted to get "serious" and bought HD 25-1's. My dissatisfaction kept going: I wasn't expecting to get struck by the sound quality with my mediocre sound card, but I had chosen these cans mainly due to the renowned "120 dB", and wish to hear something really "loud"! Nope, this didn't happen, nor with additional HD 25-13's stock OFC cable - which is said to be a definitive improvement - and Radioshack gold plated 6.3>3.5mm adapter. The maximum sound level from W810i with HD 25-1 is about %80 of my Sony's. No such difference with computer though, both of them sound fine and loud to me but you can't really justify the price difference.

Now, I tend to explain the situation with the fact that my both sources are so deficient that nor PX 100 neither HD 25-1 were able to show me their true potential, and that my MDR-A35G S2's 108 dB/mW is higher than both which helps it to be driven easier and sound louder - even quite equivalent quality, to my ears.

I don't know, I am confused and I need your help to clarify my case. Any suggestion or feedback will be welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

And

Dec 15, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 10
Loudness is not indicative of sound quality. Obviously, the 25-1's will have a much higher impedance. This means that they simply provide more resistance and using a phone/computer out will simply not cut it. Not only that, but open headphones are designed to put out much more sound because they have no way of isolating sound. Therefore, at maximum volume with equal power, the Sony's will sound much louder. But if you were to go to on a bus, in order to get equivalent sound from the both of them, you would have to pump up the Sony's much louder. This is one of the selling points of IEM's, as to get the same intensity requires much less power. Remember, decibels are a measurement of intensity, depending on your mood/location, things will sound louder or softer. Comparing loudness levels is like comparing musical genres, its all relative.

Also, the files on your phone probably have enormous compression, maybe around 128 or 196 kbs. If you have 100$ cans, why use them with compressed files? Also, the PX100 should be plenty loud enough, but they are open, so they don't isolate sound at all (and they leak it like mad).

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 10
Loudness does NOT equal quality.
Ofcourse your HD25-1 will be quieter than your Sony thingy because it's 70 ohm for the HD25-1's and 16 ohm for those Sony things.

The HD25-1 sure as h*ll goes loud with the DJM800, but that is a DJ mixer with a dedicated headphone amp in it!
That is like comparing a scooter (your walkman) to a Ferarri (the DJM800)
So it's that simple. If your source doesn't have the juice to power the headphones, you won't be happy! And for these reasons people invented portable amps! Go get yourself one, you'll most definitely love it!

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 10
inF, I am in a similar situation. I have been using Sony MDR-A35 for many years and am considering HD 25-1 for an upgrade. Other than your volume issue, how would you compare the sound quality? I don't like high volume. Going from almost weightless buds, to full size headphones, are the Senn. comfortable to use for a few hours or do they feel like wearing bricks?

BTW, the Sony's are in the realm of "insanely sensitive". Good for low powered cell phones & MP3 players, but with my computer, they can go from too soft to too loud with a tiny bump of the volume control.

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #5 of 10
@ Sardonyx

The HD25-1 is definitely NOT heavy. My custom OFC Canare cable is probably heavier
wink.gif

But wearing it for 2+ hours is a bit difficult since it's a supra-aural headphone!
Meaning it sits ON your ears instead of surround them.

You might want to consider a Denon D1001.

Dec 19, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 10
Thanks for the answers.

@ Sardonyx,

I wouldn't want to make a definitive comparison between MDR-A35G and HD 25-1 unless I try them both with a proper source & amp (which will happen in ~1 week) but as with my W810i and computer's Audigy 2 ZS and 192-320 kbps mp3's,

- HD 25-1's sound stage is much bigger. With Sony music is like stuck 'in' your ears whereas with HD 25-1 it runs around them freely,

- I don't get an absolute sound quality difference. I've tried them several times again and again with different types of music but I can not determine any obvious characteristic distinction other than sound stage and the fact that HD 25-1 sound a bit "darker". I don't know how I can explain this, but let me put it this way: Space-Dye Vest sounds more like an horror movie soundtrack with HD 25's whereas with MDR-A35G, it rather sounds as a love metal song. In fact I liked it more with Sony's
redface.gif

As for the comfort, I agree with Bonthouse. After 1-2 hours it starts to hurt your ears, you should consider the optional velour pads.

Dec 19, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 10
Soundstage-wise, yes. It's like the music was coming from behind me, and after I got used to it.. It was all around me!
Last night I was listening to some Jack Johnson with the Corda Move amp and my iPhone. No EQ.
The music sounded beautiful. The bass was deep and tight, the mids were smooth as a supermodels skin and the highs were just right. Not fatiguing at all!
If I could marry a headphone/IEM/earphone.. It would be the HD25-1.

inF, what amp did you buy? I agree, the HD25-1 is a bit dark, but for me it's just the way I want the music to sound, without EQing it
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the HD25-1 is a bit dark

Dark? The HD25 has just about the most crystalline treble I have heard in a headphone. All the more surprising given that it is only rated to 16 kHz (-3 dB). They're pretty good for DJ headphones, but I find the bass extension a bit lacking, the upper mids brash, and they can sound somewhat boxy.

Sardonyx, it definitely sounds like you should check out the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohm). It sounds fantastic at low volumes and is very comfortable.

@ inF: you too - Dream Theater sounds absolutely amazing with the DT770!
beyersmile.png

Dec 19, 2008 at 9:06 AM Post #9 of 10
@Bonthouse,

Second hand Corda Move, if I can, or a new 2Move, with Sansa Fuze. I guess you are pretty happy with your Move & HD 25-1 combo?
smily_headphones1.gif

@Jim Barry,

I will try if I can, thank you
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 10
I've been looking at so much stuff that I forgot HD25 are on ear. Thanks for the suggestions, D1001 and DT770 are on my list, but I'm leaning toward ATH-ESW9. I've read lots of threads, and none of the music I have has been mentioned as a reference song for auditioning gear. I came to head-fi to learn about headphones, but I've also been learning about some great music. I might end up blowing my budget on new CDs instead of new headphones! With just a quick sample from their websites, Dream Theater wasn't really my taste, but I could get into Porcupine Tree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back