HD 25-1 replacement - Stoner Rock Addict !
Oct 8, 2013 at 6:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

SeFi

New Head-Fier
Heya guys !

I have in mind to change my HD 25-1 because 1. I have some money and 2. I feel like I could maybe get a better headphone that suits my needs.

I have those HD 25-1 for a year or so now and I do love them ! I use them everyday, I'm a huge music addict and I can clearly say that I spend most of the day (7+ hours) with them of my head. BUT this is the first point where I need your expertise, they are not the most comfortable headphones I think I could have...

The thing is I need close headphones, because I wear them in my office all day long and some colleagues are just next to me. Maybe a Circum-aural ?

Next point is I'm mainly listening to Stoner Rock, Heavy Psych music, where guitars are fuzzy as hell \m/ ! For example : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v... 
The bass lines are also very important for me to hear well. This instrument plays a great role in this genre, particularly in the calmer/psych songs where you just light up a joint and fly away... :wink: For example : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v... or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...

So I find the HD 25-1 sound to be pretty cool for what I'm listening to everyday, but do you think I could get better headphones which maybe suits more my music style and this comfort issue ? I'm ready to go in the 300€ range, maybe more if you recommend so.

I hope you can help me out guys and I thank you in advance.

Keep Rockin'

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 11
I wonder if you wouldn't be really pleased with either the Sennheiser HD600 or HD650. I think as a stoner you would probably get a kick out of their impressive soundstaging :)

Just make sure you have a good amp to plug them into, they need plenty of power. Best one I've heard them paired with is called the Bottlehead Crack. However, unless you buy a used one, you have to buy it in kit form and build it yourself.

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 11
Are you looking for portable phones?

Because this could be a rare case where I would recommend the M-100 without hesitation. Lots of bass and nice sparkle for those down down tuned guitars.

PS: I own the M-100

Oct 9, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 11
@levinhatz Thanks but those are open headphones and I'm searching for a closed one.

@flipper2gv Yeah someone also recommend me the M-100, those look great ! But I also read that on the M100 it might hurt some people ears because they touch the inner part of the headphones. My ears are a bit "sticking out" and I know I already felt some pain while using gaming cirum-aural headphones back when I was a gamer.

Any thoughts on this ?

Thanks !

Oct 12, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 11
  How are those Mad Dog compared to my 25-1 ?

I mean I'm searching for a circumaural closed headphones similar to Grado sound :)

Just listened to the Mad Dogs again at my friend's place yesterday. I was reminded again why they're so great. Particularly if you power them well, they really come alive with a great amount of energy and soundstage. Contrary to the Grados, they are more of a tonally neutral sound. The energy is there, but not in quite such a visceral, unfiltered way as the Grados. If that makes sense. 

The Mad Dogs pretty much smoke the 25-1 in every way.

Another suggestion would be the Ultrasone Pro 750. Doesn't get enough love on this forum. It's closed, and like the Grados, has a very exaggerated frequency response and is anything but neutral. You might enjoy what the S-logic technology does for the soundstage. Also like the Grado and unlike the Mad Dog, it doesn't really require an amp.

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 11
  @levinhatz Thanks but those are open headphones and I'm searching for a closed one.

@flipper2gv Yeah someone also recommend me the M-100, those look great ! But I also read that on the M100 it might hurt some people ears because they touch the inner part of the headphones. My ears are a bit "sticking out" and I know I already felt some pain while using gaming cirum-aural headphones back when I was a gamer.

Any thoughts on this ?

Thanks !

XL pads!

I got them and they make the phones really more comfy.

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 11
I used to have the Senn Amperiors and I really liked the way they sounded, but like you, the comfort got to me. I did quite a bit of reading and decided on DT770 32ohm. I listen to doom metal, death metal, black metal, progressive metal, and, uh... more metal. These headphones are great for metal. GREAT. They isolate fairly well, too.

One thing about them though, I experimented with the little bass port holes that are in the cups and found that taping them nearly 2/3 closed with a small square of black electrical tape really tightened up the bass and did away with the boominess. The kick drums hit nice and hard, and I can really pick out bass lines now. Instrument separation is better than decent. I'd highly recommend them.

Oh yeah, they are really comfortable too!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back