HD 25-1 Im so bummed.
Aug 21, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
But the HD25-1's hardly look drfferent, right? It's mostly just the cable.

The headband is a single piece of bendy plastic, not the hinged split headband of the -1. The earcups look very alike, but between cabling and the headband, the -SP spresent a fairly different appearance.

hd25sp_normal.jpg
HD25_normal.jpg

(I suppose if I get sufficiently dissatisfied with the HD25-SP I could buy HD25-1's, recable them, stick them on an HD25-SP headband (I think it's $7 at the Sennheiser parts store), and have HD25-1's that look like HD25-SP's. But that just seems wrong.)

Aug 21, 2004 at 10:45 PM Post #32 of 47
The Senn HD-25-1 is a studio monitor headphone. As a studio musician (keyboards), I've worn some real dogs (mostly Koss) and I can definitely appreciate the 25-1's top end resolution. When you're in the studio with a bunch of noisy musicians, the top is usually the saving grace. It allows you to hear over the drummer next to you or the Billy Gibbons wannabe that has his guitar screaming just around the corner. The 25-1's also have a tight bass that comes closer to the sound of the mix heard in the control room (through the studio monitors) than most other phones, and can handle just about all the gain you can throw at them without breaking up.

For home cans, (I just bought a pair recently), my biggest complaint is the midrange. I'm using these with an SR-71 amp for portable use and I just wish they had more of that sweet Grado 225 mid stuff. Still, these are incredible headphones.

I think my ideal portable phones would be the the Senn 25's with the midrange of the Grado 225's...

Heck,...I'm just dreaming out loud.

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 22, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #34 of 47
Well after some heavy-duty, very loud burn-in these guys are sounding much better now. The bass goes suprisingly low, down into the rumble zone. The sound is quite nicely balanced, and the high's don't seem harsh at all, though the upper mids/lower treble definitely stick out a bit more than on my other cans. My only complaint now sound-wise is that they a bit "small" or not full compared to my other cans, but that is a sacrifice definitely worth making for the portability these babies offer. One thing I don't understand is why people go on about the isolation of these cans, I mean they are barely better isolating than the DT770, and not close to the HD280.

Aug 23, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #35 of 47
IMO the HD 25-1s are the best DJ cans available because of their sound quality and efficiency.

Aug 25, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #36 of 47
I hope I will find them to be a solution to my problem (I need GOOD closed cans for public transit, air travel and (more permanently) office). I have
already ordered them on Sunday (paid only $120 - that sounds like a pretty good price to me).

Burn in does make difference. At the last Vancouver meet my old HD-580 got nice compliments - it just sounds so good now after several years, that I have no pressing desire to get 600 or even 650 (I couldn't detect any difference at the meet, even with those fancy cables).

Aug 25, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #37 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by aos
I hope I will find them to be a solution to my problem (I need GOOD closed cans for public transit, air travel and (more permanently) office). I have
already ordered them on Sunday (paid only $120 - that sounds like a pretty good price to me).

Burn in does make difference. At the last Vancouver meet my old HD-580 got nice compliments - it just sounds so good now after several years, that I have no pressing desire to get 600 or even 650 (I couldn't detect any difference at the meet, even with those fancy cables).

you lucky bugger!

BTW bugger is an aussie term used commonly to address someone who did something sneaky.
If only I had known that there was a lower price I could have gotten them even cheaper.
But that's OK I guess there is always a cheaper place to buy from.
Then again the one's from etronics might be refurbed stock. Who knows
Someone else had a similar experience with CD 3K's

That is why there is this beautyiful thing called money back warranty.

Good luck and do post your impressions of these cans

Kunwar

Aug 25, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #38 of 47
I was expecting $180 as the spysupply007 never returned my emails (they
claim to sell for $150 but their links are half-dead and not answering
to emails, I didn't want to stick around any longer). Imagine my surprise at
the "secret" price quote. I ordered them on the spot. Unfortunately I will be waiting for 2 1/2 weeks (5-7 day shipping is a whopping $57 Canadian so I stuck to "normal" 2-3 weeks for $17 Canadian - they do ship to Canada so that's good).

Aug 25, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #39 of 47
I said it once in another thread, and I'll say it again. Get the cables swapped out by Larry at headphile.com. It raises the bar further.

You can check out the few pics I posted of the swap in post #21 of this thread:
http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...2&page=2&pp=15

Umdiddly scrumptious! I am such a fanboy.

Aug 25, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
FOM is when a bunch of people buy a can because of a few praising reviews, they all have the usual 'honey moon' period where they all love the can and hype it some more, causing many threads to be written about said can. A few months later, you will start to find bad comments cropping up and pretty soon threads are filled with lovers and haters and the can and it is then no long FOM...

Biggie.

a.k.a. Flavor of the Month. I could be wrong, but it originally was used by ice cream stores when they featured a new ice cream flavor as the special. Everyone flocks to buy that flavor until they get tired of it, typically a month, then the store introduces a new flavor to drum up new business.

Aug 25, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcachola
a.k.a. Flavor of the Month. I could be wrong, but it originally was used by ice cream stores when they featured a new ice cream flavor as the special. Everyone flocks to buy that flavor until they get tired of it, typically a month, then the store introduces a new flavor to drum up new business.

The HD 25-1s aren't new. Perhaps a lot of people on the board are purchasing them because the price is coming down? Thats why I didn't buy them year ago and went with the SP version instead (which I didn't like and later sold).

Aug 26, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #42 of 47
I don't think these are flavour of the month. There has been a few more mentions lately, true, but in general there hasn't been much talk about them.

Besides, I haven't heard of any full size closed headphone that was universally praised. You have to pick your poisson. I have two Beyers so I know 831 would be too bright for me, which leaves not much choice (CD 3000 aren't really closed by most accounts, or rather, don't provide any isolation).

Aug 26, 2004 at 7:12 AM Post #43 of 47
As the originator of this thread...i thought it time for an update. They have been locked away in my sound-proof studio for the last...err.....6 days...with a 5 song cd on repeat....24hours a day at a pretty decent loud volume with the bass turned up high...some good heavy/deep bass tracks...think they are almost ready? I did sneak a quick listen at day three and they did sound a bit better.....i'm going to go 8 day...cuz if my math is correct (8x24) that is 192 hours....and i hope that should be sufficient...
then I will see!!

Aug 26, 2004 at 7:55 AM Post #45 of 47
Almost nonexistent, I've heard. Almost as bad as Grados.
Think of the HD25 as a "in-your-face" type of can; a powerful, masculine type of headphone that sounds (and also is, physically) rugged but without sacrificing detail or overall balance (second-hand...). Maybe the opposite of K501.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back