HD 25-1 II coiled cable?
Mar 21, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #16 of 23
Hard decision. Am gonna wear the cable at least under a tight jacket / rain-coat while walking / cycling. Don't have any coiled cables to try, how it feels, but I guess the cable could restric movement if jammed / pressed by the coat.
..If you know what I mean ;]

Mar 21, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #17 of 23
I use the HD25-1 with the coiled cable portably daily, wearing it under a Duffle coat.
Only thing that bothered me a little in the beginning was the weight of the cable, puling the one cup a little down, plus some entangling.
I've got no problems with the aesthetics, I find both the 'phones and the coiled cable to be super cool.
If you're going to be very active/motile it might be of a bigger problem, still though, a daily 20 min walk or so to and fro lectures involves no problems in my case.

The steel/copper cable is not bad either, it surely won't keep you from enjoying the cans, plus it is considerably lighter and actually more flexible than the coiled one.

Mar 21, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #18 of 23
I just switched over to the copper cable for the HD540. I never knew what was meant by the Sennheiser "veil" until I listened to Maynard Ferguson with the copper. I always watch how high a volume I set so his horn doesn't blow my eardrums out, but with the "veil" from the copper, I could raise up the volume higher than ever before. When I switched back to the steel cable, I noticed the "veil" was gone and so had to reduce the volume again. The copper cable seems to expand the soundstage too. Both have different sound but both enjoyable.

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Above post is regarding the HD25-1 MkII by the way.

Doesn't that model come with a copper cable anyway? On the old model, the copper is a very noticeable improvement over the regular steel one in every ascpect. The copper replacement just used to be rather long for portable use + terminated to 1/4"... I just coiled up the excess & used an adaptor, yet handy folks could easily mod it.

Mar 22, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :) /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't that model come with a copper cable anyway?

No - The HD 25-1 has always had a steel cable. Mk.II version as well.

It's a pro set of headphones designed for ENG and OB use and durability is paramount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back