HD 25 1-11 do not satisfy my bass needs, which alternative?
Jan 27, 2010 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Djo77

Head-Fier
I've bought a pair of the Senheisser HD 25 and I like their sound. However I ain't satisfied with the bass as I almost don't feel/ hear it (guess I'm a basshead?).

I'm looking for a headphone which is in about the same price range as the hd25's. However I would also like it to be an allrounder since I listen to Pschy-Trance as well as Rock.

It doesn't per se have to be a portable although that's a lot handier.

Suggestions please. If you need more detail let me know.

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Djo77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've bought a pair of the Senheisser HD 25 and I like their sound. However I ain't satisfied with the bass as I almost don't feel/ hear it (guess I'm a basshead?).

I'm looking for a headphone which is in about the same price range as the hd25's. However I would also like it to be an allrounder since I listen to Pschy-Trance as well as Rock.

It doesn't per se have to be a portable although that's a lot handier.

Suggestions please. If you need more detail let me know.

No wonder you think bass on HD25s. Because HD 25 with the stock steel cable is indeed lacking bass - the low end lacks depth and is simply not tight enough for a lot of music. Replacing the cable with a quality copper or silver one from Headphile, Stefan Audio, etc, will improve the bass response a lot. Alas, those cables cost at least $100 US, which is a bit too much for cables IMO. Instead, I recommend that you consider Shure SRH750 DJ. It costs about the same or even less than HD25, but should offer much better bass and better mids and treble too. PM warrior 05 for more info on SRH750 DJs since he is one of the very few people on head-fi who has these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by evillamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stick to Koss Porta Pros or something?

lol Those are not bad for the price, but there are far better cans in the HD25-1 price range. Porta Pro is also open, so they are not suitable at all for any noisy places.

BTW, just to clarify - you have HD25-1, not HD25SP right?

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by evillamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you running them unamped or amped?

Good question. I would recommend Shure SRH840 if the OP is going to hook the 'phones up to a good amp.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Replacing the cable with a quality copper or silver one from Headphile, Stefan Audio, etc, will improve the bass response a lot.

Seriously? Is that actually true? You can change the sound signature by replacing the cable?

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously? Is that actually true? You can change the sound signature by replacing the cable?

Not so much sound signature, but sound quality will improve. Sound will become smoother and bass will become tighter and deeper. I tried Senn HD650 cable with my HD25-1s, but unfortunately, because it is made for 300+ Ohm Senns, it proved to be incompatible with the HD25 - the bass did get deeper and the sound did become smoother, but soundstage collapsed completely. So you need a cable made specifically for HD25.

Jan 27, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 15
I don't run them amped but I plan on buying one in the future. Thanks for the replys so far
regular_smile .gif

Which one is better an upgraded HD 25 1-11 (no it isn't the SP) or the SRH750 DJ? Also does the SRH750 DJ have a somewhat thight grip, since the grip on the hd25 doesn't bother me at all really I kinda like it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 15
So it's better to keep the HD 25 1-11 with a cable upgrade? (instead of ultrasone dj1 pro or Shure SRH750 DJ). And which is better the Sen. 600 upgrade or the Stefan Audio arts cable, and can somebody please post a link to the Stefan cable because I can't find it on Headphile.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

So it's better to keep the HD 25 1-11 with a cable upgrade? (instead of ultrasone dj1 pro or Shure SRH750 DJ). And which is better the Sen. 600 upgrade or the Stefan Audio arts cable, and can somebody please post a link to the Stefan cable because I can't find it on Headphile.

Stefan AudioArt Home

At that price I'd try the HD600 or HD650 cable first (you can always sell it if you don't like it) or wait to get a second hand SAA-cable.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 15
I did the HD600 cable with my Hd25-1. There is a noticeable improvement. The stock cable has a strained sound compared to the copper. Now they have a fuller sound. Maybe a slightly darker sound. The cable replacement (with the HD600 cable) is easy and inexpensive. I'm not sure it will give you the kind of bass you are looking for, but I think you would definitely be happier with your HD25-1. This is not a subtle change that you have to listen for. It's an obvious improvement. I'm just not sure it will give you the increase in bass you are looking for. I've always thought the bass on the HD25 was almost too tight.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

If the main problem with HD25s for you is the weak bass, then if I were you, I would rather save the money and go with SRH750 DJ. Should be a significant step up from HD25-1 stock in the bass, but also in the rest of the spectrum and you can cover the cost completely or almost completely by selling your HD25s. The only thing you will lose with SRH750 is some of the isolation that HD25 offers - the isolation should still be OK for most purposes, but if you often listen to music while riding the subway/train/bus, then it may not be enough. If isolation is very important to you, then Shure SRH840 will do the trick - it isolates about as much as HD25, but still sound quite a bit better even unamped IMO with much better bass for sure. Also, if you have a big head, SRH840 will be the better option, provided that you can get an amp sometime in the future - I read that SRH750 headband does not extend very far. Otherwise, like I said, SRH750 probably offers the best combination of sound quality and portability in a closed headphone for unamped use in that price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back