HD 228 vs HD 238 for use with Sansa Clip
Sep 18, 2009 at 4:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

shaf0187

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi members,

I was hoping somebody could provide me with some advice on which headphones to buy. I am looking for some all round headphones to use. They will be principally be used while walking and away from home, however I would also use them occasionally whilst at home, plugged into my PC.

The player they will be used with will be the Sansa Clip. I don't find canal phones comfortable so I have narrowed it down to these two options.

HD 228 - £31
HD 238 - £47

The music which I listen to is mostly House/Dance, but I also like some RnB and HipHop, and enjoy bass as long as it is clear.

I would prefer to buy the 228's, as they are considerably cheap, however I have not heard them. I have however heard the HD 238's in the apple store and I was very impressed by them, especially the bass and clarity.

Would the HD 228's provide a similar sound or is there a big difference in sound. I am by no means an audiophile, so any minor differences will not be picked up by my amateur ears.

The other thing which concerns me is I have read that they do not turn up very loud (both pairs) as they need a lot of power to drive. Would they be ok driving the Clip or would I be better off looking at the PX 100's which are the same price as HD 228s.

Any help to decide would be appreciated

Shaf

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 14
238 gives a bigger soundstage than both both px100 and 228, but the 228 are closed. The 238 wont isolate much and might leak a tad. The 228 will isolate and not leak. For the same price i would go with the 228 over the 100, bust still 238 over 228 if you dont need isolation or very little soundleak. THey turn up loud enough, at least if you live in somewhere else than europe. if not u coul build a cmoy

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 14
I like in the UK, how would this effect how loud they will go? Sorry if its a dumb question
confused_face.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 14
Europe has their own regulations for volume. if the american volume is 100% at maximum, the europe is 70-60%. If you could have another listen at the apple store, maybe you could decide for yourself?

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 14
I have been very happy with the 228. But take the foam out and let the phone grow on you. The 238 does sound better but I have never really understood getting an open phone for anywhere but my home study. Any sound gains the 238 may have will be lost the minute it has to compete with outside noise.

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 14
It seemed loud enough through the ipod for my listening, so I assume it would be fine on my Clip. I would try bought and compare them side by side, however they did not stock the 228's. Could you comment on the bass and clarity of the 228's? Is there a huge difference in sound stage between the 238 and 228?

My budget was £30 and I would prefer a set with minimal leak which makes me lean towards the 228s. Plus I have read a few reviews, which seem generally positive, and if you say the 228's are better than the px100's which I was looking at, which have very positive reviews, and a loyal following I doubt I will be disappointed.

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 14
The real difference between 228 238 and 100 is the clarity. I've always thought that the px100, porta pros or ksc 75 and the like never had silence in them. Every sound go extended. With these there is silence where there should be silence. The bass is tighter and you get more isolation with either over the 100s. The soundstage difference isn't THey are kinda like the W3(228) vs IE8(223). Most here will tell you that sound quality is everything, so i thought when i bought a couple of full sized cans for portable use, but it really isn't. To in theory think that you'd rather want sound stage than leakage is just theory. Ones you actually need them to be quiet and keep you from hearing the busses you want isolation, and dont really care about the sound stage. THe isolation will also keep the volume loud enough as it wont be overpowered by other sounds.

Go for the 228s.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gbjerke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Europe has their own regulations for volume. if the american volume is 100% at maximum, the europe is 70-60%. If you could have another listen at the apple store, maybe you could decide for yourself?

Would that be for player or the headphones. If its the player, surely it can be flashed with the the international firmware?

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #9 of 14
its the player. IDK how easy/hard it is to do on a Sansa. But on an ipod you have to restore your hole computer with an american language and location and then sync it to iTunes.

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #10 of 14
Just did a little research and it can be flashed with the firmware available on the Sansa site.

Thanks for your input and opinions. I have decided that I will go with the HD 228 as they fit in with my budget and have had some good reviews from Head-Fi'ers.

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 14
yey you!

Sep 18, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 14
One last question, I often use my second mp3 player which is an old Sony NWD-B105. Its very reliable, and has fair SQ. Would the impedance of 24 ohms for the 228's mean that the player won't drive the 228's very well, especially at high volumes, or do you think this wouldn't be a problem

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #13 of 14
Hi there guys received the HD 228's today and I couldn't be happier. They were exactly what I was looking for. Also took the foam out as suggested which made them even better. Excellent sound for the money.

Thanks for helping me to choose!

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaf0187 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One last question, I often use my second mp3 player which is an old Sony NWD-B105. Its very reliable, and has fair SQ. Would the impedance of 24 ohms for the 228's mean that the player won't drive the 228's very well, especially at high volumes, or do you think this wouldn't be a problem

Chances are there should be no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back