HD 212 Pro versus PX 200
Nov 10, 2003 at 9:30 AM Post #17 of 25
I have had the PX200 for about 5 months.
I couldn't be happier. I use them with a portable and a stock Altoids CMOY. They really do sound very good. Good bass , sweet smooth mids and highs.
The small cups do need to be positioned correctly over the ear.
I don't like the short cord so I made a longer starquad interconnect for the CMOY. Used the gold Radioshack mini's . This works fine for me.
The PX200 seems to be very durable. I usually go to sleep with the phones on and they are on the floor or under the pillow when I wake up. I can't seem to break them
smily_headphones1.gif

Also , when flying I always get compliments on the PX200 and the CMOY (Altoids- Girl in Red Dress Tin).

My other setup is a META with Senn 580's. The 580's are more comfortable. A little more detail. Bass on the 580's is probably more accurate but I really like the bass from the 200.
I had 580's and Meta before the CMOY and the PX200.
If I had it to do over I honestly think I could be satisified with the PX200 and CMOY. Sometimes I miss the Crossfeed on the CMOY, but it really depends on the CD.

I would not hesitate recommending the PX200.

Nov 10, 2003 at 3:19 PM Post #18 of 25
Actually I'd choose the PX200 over the 497 regardless of price or use. I hated the 497s. I know many who like them but to me these were one of the worst sub $100 cans I've ever tried. Their biggest problem is that they have a very unbalanced sound--their highs don't seem to go with their lows. I love the upper midrange and treble on the 497s but I hated the rest of the midrange and the bass. IMO most of the midrange and bass on these cans sounds very unrealistic and cheap (it was very boomy and undetailed)--worse than most stock cans. Pair this horrible bass and midrange with the nice highs and you're left with one odd sounding headphone--and that is what I thought of them--they end up sounding very odd and unrealistic, almost like two different phones. This unbalanced sound caused havoc with music and made almost everything sound just wrong. I'd take my KSC-35s over these anyday for no other reason except that they provide a more balanced sound.

My advice would be to get the PX200s now from ecost.com and save some more money and buy some Sr60s along with some Senn pads (make sure to mod them though). IMO the only way the 497s can compete with the Sr60s (497s vs Sr60s is a common discussion around here) is if you use the Sr60s with the stock comfy pads. With the comfy pads the Sr60s are severly handicapped when it comes to detail and because of this sound pretty cruddy. But slap some modded Senn pads on them and they become the best cans $100 and under (IMO of course) and completly squash the 497s.

I know I've really gone against the grain of other peoples opinions about the 497s but I just had to say what I felt about them. And I don't mean to rain on your parade if you are really excited about getting the 497s--you might really like them--but I did not and I just wanted to give my alternative view on the issue.

Nov 10, 2003 at 3:24 PM Post #19 of 25
I don't care much for either the HD497 or the HD212 Pro. The 497 sounds a bit plasticky - surprisingly so for open-back headphones, while the 212 delivers too much mid-bass response for its own good (though admittedly, I've heard worse than either 'phone). I've only heard the PX200 briefly, and didn't like it much (though I might not have positioned that 'phone correctly on my ears).

As for the Koss KSC-35, I don't use it much these days; I just couldn't wear earclips for more than a few minutes without complaining of upper-ear pain. Though the sound is good, it's the lack of long-term comfort that puts me off.

Nov 10, 2003 at 5:15 PM Post #20 of 25
I have a pair of PX200's and a pair of HD280's. They are both nice - but I must say I like my PX200's better and they are much cheaper. you can get a pair from ecost.com for $30 and they are worth every penny. They are comfortable, sound good - bass is a little weak, but for classical I'm sure its perfect. I would highly recommend them.

Isaiah

Nov 10, 2003 at 7:13 PM Post #21 of 25
The biggest problem I have with the PX200 is finding the right position. You have to set them on your ear a certain way to get the best sound out of them, and depending how patient you are, you might not want to sit there fiddling with them till you find the right position.

Nov 10, 2003 at 8:28 PM Post #22 of 25
I suppose I will chime in here. I like the 497s and 200s both very much so this comment is based on a positive perspective rather than a negative one towards these cans. Nevertheless, I would consider the 497 to be significantly better than the PX200 for classical.

Nov 10, 2003 at 10:35 PM Post #23 of 25
Thanks, guys, for your kind contribution and good will, but everything you say now comes too late because I have already ordered the 497s last night, before I went to bed.

I hope I did right!... (actually, I got worried by Patrickshat' s opinion because, after all, he listens mostly classical music...)

Cheers

Nov 10, 2003 at 11:04 PM Post #24 of 25
Since when do I listen to mosty classical music? How do these ugly rumors get started?
tongue.gif

Seriously, though, I hope you enjoy the Senn 497s. Not only do they have a great and natural sounding top end but they also have great bass impact, probably one of the best under $100. IMO this impact comes at the expense of clarity but you may hear things differently. I thinking you'll love rocking out to the likes of the 1812 Overture with these cans, though.
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2003 at 2:07 AM Post #25 of 25
Thanks, Patrickhat

About the "rumors": I just went to your profile and find as your musical preferences "mostly classical and rock". Well, I just assumed that you would listen to classical most of the time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back