HD 201 Mod.
Feb 5, 2011 at 4:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

EpicPie

500+ Head-Fier
I figured this would be an appropriate place to make this thread. :p Had some extra carbon fiber vinyl laying around, decided to mod my HD 201's until I have enough money to afford a better set of headphones but for now i'll have to make the best of these. I also blutac modded them since the bass on these headphones seemed a bit muddy/distorted on certain frequencies and the soundstage wasn't as clear IMO. Here are some pictures I showed to Sennheiser USA via Facebook(They really liked my mod if you guise were wondering), thought I would share them with the Head-Fi.org community as well. I'll be making a video tutorial in about a week for anyone who wants to do these to their pair. Critique and feedback is appreciated. :)

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 10
Cool.  Looking forward to your vid.

I got a pair recently for cheap at newegg ($13).  Sound is ok but muddy is the right word. 

What the "blu tac mod"?

I also read somewhere about drilling holes to improve the bass. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 10
I like the way you covered up the silver part of the headphones, it has a unique texture look to it. Next step in modding my HD201's is getting different earpads and changing out the wires. :p

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
For the Blu-Tak Mod, where did you put the Blu-Tak? Because when I opened mine there was another smaller box on the inside but that one is glued shut.

You have to pry the driver cover off with a flat head screw driver, then you put the blu-tak on the inside.

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 10
If you're thinking of applying this vinyl to your HD201s, be warned that getting the inserts to fit back in perfectly with the overlap of the vinyl is CRAZY tricky and I almost threw myself out the window. Patience and minimizing the overlap as well as stretching the vinyl to conform as tightly as possible using a heat source like blowdryer is key. And you may have to fit and refit a few times. Had to trim and trim to get it just right. Worth it though. 

Sep 24, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 10
  I did take this mod to the next level. Since I am a die hard fan of woodies here's my HD201 Woodified.
I think it has body compared to the stock.

For some reason this look doesn't really work for me, it might be due to the area where you can place custom panels on the hd201 being to small. Nevertheless it is a well executed cosmetic mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back