HD-200 or something else?
Dec 29, 2001 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Blood-Eye

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm a basic computer enthusiast who loves music. I play games occasionally (such as Q3, CS very little etc) and I wouldn't consider myself anything near an audiophile.

But, I have a passion for music. I have spent quite a bit on speakers and headphones, earphones in the past year and I'm looking just to get that little bit more of satisfaction from a pair of headphones.

I was looking at the Sennheiser HD-200 because they are closed-aire, which is most probably what I would prefer - being a bass lover (obviously). Are there any problems with these headphones or known issues? Would I be wrong in buying a pair of these?

I currently have a pair of AKG K-66 headphones and I am a little dissatisfied with the bass (probably because these are open-aire).

Suggestions? Being in Australia, I can probably only get a certain range of Koss, Sennheiser, AKG etc.

Thanks

Dec 29, 2001 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 23
I am thinking Sony V6/Beyer DT250-80/Phillips HP890/Denon AHD-something.

Any of those would probably work out for you, they all have excellent bass (Particularly the V6 and Beyer 250s). This is all hearsay.

The few comments about the Senn HD200s around here have been quite bad.

Dec 29, 2001 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 23
I have the Denon AHD350's...avoid them at all costs, all bass no treble and midrange. I can definitely recommend the Sony V6's, since i own them, they sound very nice. based on hearsay, the Beyer's Xevion mentions should sound better than the Sony's. Although you may have a hard time finding these cans down under.

George

Dec 29, 2001 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Blood-Eye
Anybody here recommend or does NOT recommend the Sony 7506 headphones? I can get them for AUD$258...

The 7506 are the same as the V6.

Dec 29, 2001 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 23
I have both the Senn 200 and Sony V6. You want the V6, period. The bass on it is much deeper, tighter, and well-defined. Both have clear highs, edge going to the V6. The mid-range on the V6 is more transparent, and the soundstage is wider. And, as MacDEF said, the V6 is the same thing as the 7506.

Dec 29, 2001 at 6:05 AM Post #8 of 23
just to let you know....i think the akg 66's are NOT a representation of what bass is like on open headphones....don't judge all open cans like the 66's....

Plus....i think this guy hasn't heard REAL bass yet....i think the bass he is refering to is the boomy mid bass....

Dec 29, 2001 at 8:05 AM Post #9 of 23
Sweetness...

So, the 7506s are recommended for normal gaming/computer enthusiasts? The sales person told me this,

Quote:

The 7506 is especially designed as a "flat response" headphone and is recommended for critical listening, eg mixing. The more expensive 7509 has a "warmer" sound but is not recommended for mixing as the frequency response is not flat.

So, it will still be good right?

Dec 29, 2001 at 8:11 AM Post #10 of 23
Yeah, open headphones also have good bass, what you heard were some very not bassy headphones.

My HD600s play just as deep as the Sony V6es do in the audible spectrum, and are probably more accurate down there, but the V6s would probably trounce them in volume capability.

My old open HD500s which I rid myself of recently had tremendously overpowering bass, moreso the midbass, but the deep bass was quite exaggerated too.

Dec 29, 2001 at 10:10 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Blood-Eye
Sweetness...

So, the 7506s are recommended for normal gaming/computer enthusiasts? The sales person told me this,

[description snipped]

Wow, where was this? It sounds like a salesperson actually *gasp* knew what he was talking about!
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 29, 2001 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 23
Yes! They are efficient, and easy to drive. You'll hear all of your SBLive's hissing quite well, though... Since they are monitors, they are kinda, uhhhh, made to make the person monitoring hear that kind of stuff in a mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back