Hayley Westenra - Pure
Apr 18, 2004 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Vertigo-1

Señor Sony
Just curious if anybody else try this debut album for Hayley Westenra? It's classified under classical, I assume opera, but I'd call it more along plain folk songs than classical. She's being readily compared to Charlotte Church, but their singing styles are pretty different to my ears. Either way, I've been enjoying this CD lately.
etysmile.gif

B0000TCP9A.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Apr 19, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #2 of 9
Hadn't heard of her before, but I think I will give her a try. Comparisons to Charlotte Church, be they entirely accurate or not, are generally a good thing in my book. And the sound samples I heard at Amazon sound appealing. How's the production values of the album?

Apr 22, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 9
The mastering on the [UK Version] album isn't the best, with some distortion on a couple of the tracks, but overall her vocals are of a type that I could live with very comfortably.

Far lighter than those of Angela Gheorgiu, whose Diva album I bought the other week... that is too rich for my blood really.

Jul 9, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 9
Just picked up the CD, it's not bad, I'll give more impressions later after I've listened to it a few times... She's got nothing on Charlotte though...

Jul 9, 2004 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 9
Okay, I haven't listened to the whole thing through yet, but I have one REALLY BIG COMPLAINT!!! The freaking idiot that mixed/mastered the album set the vocal levels WAY too high. You can bearly hear the instruments!!!

Jul 9, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Okay, I haven't listened to the whole thing through yet, but I have one REALLY BIG COMPLAINT!!! The freaking idiot that mixed/mastered the album set the vocal levels WAY too high. You can bearly hear the instruments!!!

I was interested until I read this. Thanks for saving me some money Jasper. I'll wait until her second album comes out and the mastering folks get a clue.

Jul 9, 2004 at 6:04 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
I was interested until I read this. Thanks for saving me some money Jasper. I'll wait until her second album comes out and the mastering folks get a clue.

You're welcome, on an up note, the song "Heaven" is nice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back