Sep 17, 2005 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Shosta

100+ Head-Fier
Has someone listened to this box?

Haydn - Complete Piano Sonatas
Christine Schornsheim (Harpsichord)
(Capriccio)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...6link_code=xm2

Having performances of some sonatas with Richter, Brendel, Gould and Patrick Cohen, I think this could be a good way to fill all the gaps.

Sep 18, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 10
While not nearly a bargain as the Schornheim set, Andreas Staier's
3 discs are also very nice and have been recently re-released in a
mid-price box (DHM).

Sep 18, 2005 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 10
I seems that first works are played with harpsichord and the later with fortepiano.

Sep 18, 2005 at 9:47 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masolino
While not nearly a bargain as the Schornheim set, Andreas Staier's
3 discs are also very nice and have been recently re-released in a
mid-price box (DHM).

Another one that i want. More cds less money
confused.gif

Sep 19, 2005 at 8:08 AM Post #7 of 10
Just got the Schornsheim set in the mail (actually I had to go to the local PO to pick it up). A whopping box it is! Of the fourteen CD's, the first thirteen are devoted to Haydn's works (with Andreas Staier joining in for pieces for four hands) but the last one features a lengthy conversation (in German) between the artist and writer Clemens Goldberg on the various instruments she chose for this big project-- two harpsichords (Kirckman, Dowd) on five discs, a clavichord for one disc, two fortepianos (Dulcken, Broadwood) for the rest seven discs. Schornsheim speaks quite fast and I can only follow her to an extent. But of course she defends her decision to use harpsichords in Haydn: the composer wrote for that instrument early on and his music fit it like a T. (Acutally Trevor Pinnock recorded the late D-major concerto on a harpsichord-- to an exciting effect as well). Overall the (harpsichord and fortepiano) sound is sympathetically done and very satisfying to these ears even if Schornsheim seems a bit more straightforward in her approach compared to Staier as far as I can tell. I got it from Crotchet in UK and I think it's worth it: at last I will be able to make better use of the urtext complete Haydn sonatas I bought years ago (Koenemann, ed. Miklos Dolinszky)!

Sep 19, 2005 at 9:42 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks
I'll buy the box. And Staier too.

Sep 19, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #9 of 10
Try the Naxos recordings of Jeno Jando. Excellent discs, as usual, from the low-priced Naxos label, and great performance of the sonatas.

Sep 19, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cap'n Dan
Try the Naxos recordings of Jeno Jando. Excellent discs, as usual, from the low-priced Naxos label, and great performance of the sonatas.

Jando is VERY EXPENSIVE compared to the Schornsheim set!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back