Having trouble finding tips for my small oval-shaped ear canals that angle up :-/
Oct 9, 2014 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

tannehill8866

New Head-Fier
My first thread here. Be gentle... My ear canals are very small and oval shaped. My doctor tells me they also angle up before going in. I remember when I would hear warnings about putting Q-tips in your ears I thought it was a joke. Pretty much unless I tug up and back STRONGLY on my ear, I can't get anything inserted into the canal. That's what I have to do to insert any eartips.

I recently received a pair of Velodyne vPulse earphones. I love the sound! Have previously owned (well, still do) the VSonic GR02 and Klipsch S3 in-ears. Quite frankly, ONLY the Klipsch with the smallest bi-flange silicone tips has fit my ear well. The small size of the Klipsch earphone (smaller drivers too) plus the biflange shape of the tip really seems to do the trick. But even then, only the smallest flange will fit, and if I insert it much beyond the opening, my ear canal closes the hole and obviously muffles the sound. So here's the problem -- Of the 3 pairs of earphones I own, I like the sound of the Klipsch S3s the least. Really would like to find tips that will work with the Velodynes I just purchased.

What I've done so far is stretch the biflange tips that came with the Klipsch over the Velodyne driver. It's not an ideal solution, and I suspect I'm muffling the higher frequencies since the base hole of those tips is way too small for the size of the driver. But it works.

I have NOT purchased tips from Comply but have tried the cheap Bluecell knockoffs that can be purchased online. Tried all 3 of their sizes, and none go into my ear canal enough to form a seal. The smallest size comes close, but I think the short length is a problem. I need something longer to get in my angled ear canals. 

Any recommendations? Should I give the Comply a shot at this point? Are there replacement bi-flange tips with larger bases that would fit the Velodynes but still be small enough at the end to fit my ears? Thanks for the feedback. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 2
My ear canals are bent too - I can sympathise! Luckily my ear canals are rounder at the entrance so I can get a good result from shallow insertion.

Comply may be worth a try - there are a few different styles such as the Ts Series so you're not limited to the same style you tried before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back