Having Trouble Finding Portable Player $500 or Less Range - Need Help!
Dec 16, 2008 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Carmantom

1000+ Head-Fier
My musical preferences are classic rock, vocals, jazz and some classical. I am currently trying the new Sleek wireless system out.

I own and use a 3G iPhone. I have mostly ripped albums to lossless through iTunes. I have recently tried a new iTunes Classic 120. i hated it. The first thing I thought of was my iPhone overall sounded much better.

I then tried the highly touted Cowon D2 32 GB with some of my flac lossless library. To my ears everything sounded so homogenized and forward. Bass was too bloated. I tried the recommended settings some have here in another forum and still did not do it for me. I kept thinking my iPhone sounds better than this too. Both of the above players spent less than 1 1/2 hours before I boxed up and returned one and sold the other.

I am not afraid to spend a little and would prefer a one box (player) solution. I'm trying to not have to go for an amp as well. Maybe I have to in order to get the SQ I'm looking for.

Dec 16, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 8
Well from what I hear, getting the Imod with an amp is the ultimate in 'portable' SQ.

Have you tried the D2 and tweaking the EQ to your liking, not others suggestions?

Also turn on BBE to 2 (it helps greatly) and MP Enhance. Mach3Basee to setting of 2 helps as well. From there, tweak individual EQ to your liking. Don't go off someone elses ears.

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 8
I have played w/ the EQ settings including some suggestions. Maybe I have not tried enough combinations. I did not try to change the BBE setting. Maybe I'll give that a whirl. Thanks for your input.

Tom

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well from what I hear, getting the Imod with an amp is the ultimate in 'portable' SQ.

Have you tried the D2 and tweaking the EQ to your liking, not others suggestions?

Also turn on BBE to 2 (it helps greatly) and MP Enhance. Mach3Basee to setting of 2 helps as well. From there, tweak individual EQ to your liking. Don't go off someone elses ears.

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 8
I thought about earphone change, except I have great difficulty with fit(ear sensitivity). It seemed if the iPhone played reasonably well with the Sleeks then the Cowon should have been better (different), at least huge improvement over iPhone. Maybe it was a case of synergy w/ Sleeks?

Tom

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you liked the iPhone, hit the easy button and get the iTouch. If you can get rid of the hiss, maybe a high end kenwood or JVC player. Honestly though, maybe you could get some earphones to fix your problem easier.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #7 of 8
I have had the SE530s, IE8s and the Klipsch X10s. If The medium double flange tips would have worked w/ other phones, I may have kept them. I considered customs, but once you go there, and they have discomfort issue, you are stuck with them.

I am still messing with EQ. Maybe I'll find something that works for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What earphones have you tried? I don't recommend the Triple.fi if you have fit problems, maybe the SE530?

Dec 16, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carmantom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had the SE530s, IE8s and the Klipsch X10s. If The medium double flange tips would have worked w/ other phones, I may have kept them. I considered customs, but once you go there, and they have discomfort issue, you are stuck with them.

I am still messing with EQ. Maybe I'll find something that works for me.

Maybe the Westone 3? They're all the rage nowadays...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back