Having trouble deciding for pc/console gaming Headsets
Dec 16, 2012 at 11:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

donttouchmyhoho

New Head-Fier
Beyerdynamic DT990 (Premium and Pro)

[size=1.7em] HiFiMAN HE-400 Planar Driver High Efficiency Headphones[/size]

Ultrasone Pro 900

Ultrasone Pro 2900

I have extremely little knowledge in terms of the terminology you guys throw out there so helping me decided on these or something else would be awesome ^.^ I read  Mad Lust Envy's guide and I believe one of these are we what im looking for.

I'll give you my criteria to help me out

1. Bass is a must, I love the bass to hit and sound great. I dont want it to flood so bad that it makes everything hard to hear. I'm a competitive gamer, but my main primary usage would be music. Skrillex, mudvayne, slipknot, all the way down to matchbox 20. I love the explosion during games though

2. Treble, I need that clarity without sacrificing bass though.

Other than that terminology wise I can't throw anything out there.

I want clarity but im more bass heavy. I love to hear pianos and violins clearly etc. I listen to dubstep here and there. I know im emphasizing bass a lot, but im not willing to get bass heavy at sacrificing a lot on the other. My lack of knowledge is really limiting me on how to portray this and i kinda feel stupid xD help. I dont know either which amps if any I should get and I read you can buy microphone attatchments for ones that dont have any?

Dec 25, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 4
The DT990 is a great one at the price. The HE-400 trades off a little of the midbass, and adds sub bass. The DT990 performs better for gaming overall in terms of soundstage and positional cues. The HE-400 is more refined and more engaging overall. The DT990 sounds dry next to the HE-400. The HE-400 sounds good with lesser amps, and even better with good amps. The DT990 needs a good amp.

The Pro 900 and Pro 2900 lack soundstage next to the other two. They also have really screechy treble. The Pro 900 has the most mid bass out of the headphones mentioned. Good midbass. The Pro 2900 has the quickest and most refined bass, but the least. Both the Ultrasones sound artificial next to the other two.

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #4 of 4
I would not wanna listen to Skrillex off anything. ZING.

But really, his music would sound the least aggravating off a 250ohm DT990 or HE400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back