having surgery in 2 days
Jun 10, 2006 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Eisenhower

500+ Head-Fier
microsurgery to be exact. very nervous, I'll be out most of the summer, no working or anything. Its pretty complex too, facial reconstruction. I havent had surgery done since birth.

Jun 10, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 20
Bad luck, don't worry about it too much, it'll be over before you know it and you'll be back on Head-Fi in no time!
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenhower
microsurgery to be exact. very nervous, I'll be out most of the summer, no working or anything. Its pretty complex too, facial reconstruction. I havent had surgery done since birth.

I had major surgery last year; it was no fun, but I got through it with the help of friends and family and, of course, Head-Fi. It's totally normal to be nervous. My only advice would be to try to stay positive. Your attitude will go a long way toward your recovery. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.

Jun 10, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #7 of 20
The only time I have been able to observe the process with me as the subject, it was terrifying - The stainless steel walls shining, the light, the anesthesia coming on, the feeling of "what have I got myself into", as you fade out, while they are wheeling you into the cutting room...

Then when I woke up, I HURT!!! - the painkillers were just keeping the edge off - (it was hernia surgery) -

A few days later, the pain was lightening and the painkillers were working well - the dressing/redressing and leakage was getting better, and I felt better about the whole process. It was a temporary pain for a longtime improvement, so it was, overall, OK.

The two other times I was in surgery, I was not conscious anywhere near the surgical theater - One was the result of a Car Wreck, and the other was for a gunshot wound - (head shot) - both went well. (I had a really exciting and interesting childhood/young adulthood, with many experiences not too common to most people.)

You will be OK.

Here's to your quick and boring recovery, and to little or no pain. The Doctors and Nurses are there to make the process go well. If there is Pain, do not try to gut it out - tell them! Pain control actually is an important part of the healing process - more pain makes for poorer healing.

Facial surgery will possibly result in strange feelings, but it will gradually go away, or you will get used to the sensations and/or lack of sensations. For years after my facial restorations, there was a spot on my cheek that if you touched it, I would also feel the identical sensation on my lip, on the same side. I still have a couple areas where it is more sensitive to touch, and itches wierdly, but it is usually not uncomfortable.

Good Luck!

Jun 10, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #8 of 20
I had hernia surgery 2 years ago and I was very nervous before they started. Someone gave me something to calm me down a bit before taking me in. I remember being wheeled past the surgery door, and that was it. It's was such a deep sleep for me that waking up was like being born. It's hard to explain, but it was like our existance (self, world, cosmo, whatever) was gone while I was out. I woke up to a rush of recognizing that the universe was intact.

Just realize that you will be better off after the surgery and any discomfort will be temporary. Each day will be better than the previous one. Since this is reconstruction, I hope the results turn out better than you anticipate. Best of luck. Don't sweat it, you will be fine.

Jun 10, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 20
Best of luck to you. I wish you're as comfortable as possible and have a speedy recovery.

Jun 10, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #10 of 20
Best of luck and hope you have a speedy recovery. I have never been in a surgery, large or small, and I intend to keep it that way. I just got a place to do medicine and I hope to become a surgeon as well!

Jun 10, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #11 of 20
Good luck man hope it goes smoothly, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I'll be joining you under the kosh one of these days my consultant reckons I've got deep veinous incompetence pretty bad and he wants to mess about under the bonnet so I can empathise with you.

Good luck, you'll be fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #13 of 20
The idea of surgery leaves me absolutely crapbaked. I won't deny that.

My 28 year old sister had 60% of her liver removed two years ago. She had a blood filled tumour caused by the birth control pill that was slowly consuming her entire liver. That is major surgery. She was gutted like a fish. She pulled through though. A bit of a tough recovery, but you'd never know she was ever sick to look at her today.

I'm too afraid to even give blood! My doctor is forcing me to have blood tests done (I have never had a blood test). I live the epitome of an unhealthy lifestyle. I smoke too much, eat too much, drink too much and do not get enough excercise. Top that off with a stressful job and I am a ticking timebomb!

Best of luck, I'm sure you will be just fine.

Jun 11, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #14 of 20
Luckily it isnt anything life threatning, no digging around my vital organs, It entails removing a spare muscle from my leg and anchoring it in my cheek. The tricky part is finding a vessel in my neck and attching it to the muscle, using thread microns in size. Thanks for the support, Im excited. Plus, Im hoping to recieve my headfive once Im out of rehabilitation. Should give me much to do.

Jun 11, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eisenhower
Thanks for the support, Im excited. Plus, Im hoping to recieve my headfive once Im out of rehabilitation. Should give me much to do.

That's the Head-Fi spirit! Good luck and speedy recovery.

From initial nervousness to excitement -- you're making good progress!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back