Having second thoughts on my K701
Dec 25, 2010 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Seamless Sounds

Previously known as HeadFi Fanatic
I remembered very clearly how I listened to them back at Chicago Canjam amped by a headroom ultra desktop amp: The bass in particular was very articulate, detailed, and delivered a good punch for kick basses. Now that I have the Schiit Asgard, I gave them a try. I'm not getting that punch and articulate bass with my setup (see sig). The bass sounds sucked out, too far in the back of the spectrum. Is it my headphones? DAC? What's the weakest link in my chain?  I've had a chance to listen to the LCD-2 from the meet and it just blows my K701 atm. I am currently building an M3 with bass boost and will give them another chance as soon as I obtain a few more parts. My K701 were bought used from a head-fier and have had them for about half a year just to give you an idea of burn-in time.

Dec 25, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
I remembered very clearly how I listened to them back at Chicago Canjam amped by a headroom ultra desktop amp: The bass in particular was very articulate, detailed, and delivered a good punch for kick basses. Now that I have the Schiit Asgard, I gave them a try. I'm not getting that punch and articulate bass with my setup (see sig). The bass sounds sucked out, too far in the back of the spectrum. Is it my headphones? DAC? What's the weakest link in my chain?  I've had a chance to listen to the LCD-2 from the meet and it just blows my K701 atm. I am currently building an M3 with bass boost and will give them another chance as soon as I obtain a few more parts. My K701 were bought used from a head-fier and have had them for about half a year just to give you an idea of burn-in time.

Haven't you answered your own question?  If you liked the K701 through the Headroom Ultra and you hear in contrast a sucked out bass sound through your Schiit, doesn't that suggest what you would need to change to get the same sound you like?  The K701 has its detractors as well as people who like them; and some would say that the bass is "sufficient" when well amped, and others will say they are bass shy no matter what.  Few if any, would say that they have powerful bass, and comparing them to a LCD-2 would seem to have little relevance.  If you like the LCD-2 and want to head down that path then do so. If you liked the K701 with the Headroom, but dislike it with the Schiit, then to me there are two obvious answers.  Puchase a Headroom or similar (maybe the M3 when finished will give you a similar result) or move on to another flavour, of which the LCD-2 seems logical.

Dec 25, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 8
I'll see. I always believed no matter how much you spend on an amp, the headphones themselves will reach its max potential at some point. I don't know whether or not the asgard is already achieving that, or if my DAC is limiting it. A headroom ultra desktop amp is way out of my budget. I'll test it with M3 with bass boost turned down. If it sounds the same, then maybe I should upgrade the DAC

Dec 25, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 8
I didn't feel any excitement from my K702. I tried it with a few amps (Lehmann BCL, PS Audio GCHA, & Bellari HA540 tube amp). I returned my K702.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back